Butter Beans are known as Lima beans or sieve beans, because of the color and buttery texture they are called as Butter beans. They are important sources of dietary fiber, protein and minerals. Because of the dietary fiber, they scrape cholesterol, and helps in heart health. Also, they improve the digestions, increases energy level and prevents diabetes.
CLICK HERE for more Vegetarian Recipes.
Already I have shared a Butter Beans poriyal / Lima Beans curry and now it’s curry using butter beans. Butter beans curry or poriyal is usually liked by kids, because of its buttery texture. But when you pair them with steamed rice, increase little of the spice level with coconut masala, it tastes yum. Let me share the recipe…
Taking it to Fiesta Friday #189 hosted by Angie@thenovicegarderner.
- Butter Beans / Lima Beans – 2 handful
- Onion – 1 no
- Mustard seeds – ¼ tsp
- Cumin seeds – 1 tbsp + ¼ tsp
- Curry leaves – 2 sprigs
- Coconut pieces – 3 tbsp
- Ginger-garlic paste – 1 tsp
- Chilli powder – ¾ tsp
- Coriander powder – 1 ½ tsp
- Turmeric powder – ½ tsp
- Salt – 1 tsp or to taste
- Oil – 1 ½ tbsp
- Peel and finely chop the onions. Keep it aside.
- Take coconut pieces and a tbsp of cumin seeds, grind it to a fine paste by adding little water and keep it aside.
- Heat oil in a pressure cooker, add the mustard seeds, cumin seeds and curry leaves.
- Add the chopped onions, cook until they turn golden brown in color.
- Add the ground coconut masala followed by turmeric powder, chilli powder and coriander powder, cook for few mins or until the raw smell of the masala goes off.
- Add the lima beans / butter beans followed by salt, pour a cup of water, bring to boil, cover and cook for 3 whistles.
- Remove the lid when the pressure releases, transfer it to a bowl.
Serve hot with steamed rice and pappad or appalam.