Idly Rava was very different to me, as I have seen most of them making idly with Idli rava. It was the very first time, sometime ago 11 years, I came to know about Idly rava when I was there in Hyderabad through one of my friend. One day when we were chatting over a tea, she told me that she prepares different batter for Idly and Dosa, at the moment I heard I was shocked and later she told that they prepare idly using idli rava and dosa as the same as we prepare, whereas we prepare a same batter for both Idly and Dosa using Idly rice and urad dal / whole white lentils.
The very next day, she prepared me the idli using idly rava and peanut chutney which perfectly matches it. I and my hubby like it, asked the recipe, prepared by myself, as the process was very easy, takes less time, just you need to soak and grind the white lentils or urad dal or ulundam paruppu and mix it with the Idly rava and ferment it overnight and next day you can have soft and yummy Idlies. Let me share the recipe…
- Idly Rava – 3 cups
- Whole White lentil / Urad dal / Ulundam paruppu – 1 cup
- Salt – 1 ¼ tsp
- Soak whole white lentils in water for 4 hrs and grind it to a fine paste by adding little water.
- Soak Idly rava in water for 20 mins and drain the water completely.
- Now pour the ground lentil batter to the idly rava, mix it well.
- Cover and keep it aside for overnight or until it gets fermented well.
- After fermentation, add salt and mix it well.
- Heat an idly steamer, pour the idly batter to the moulds, and steam for 20 mins or until the spoon inserted in the center of the idly comes out clean.