Usually idlies consumes time due to fermentation, but there are few varieties of instant Idlies, that can be prepared without fermentation. I have already shared Instant Rava Idli / Instant Semolina Idly which is very easy and quick to prepare, but in this Instant poha idli / Aval Idli, we don’t need to ferment but here comes the 2 hrs of soaking time. I came across this recipe, through one of my foodie friend – Meenakshi Ramesh, much thanks to her, we all liked the idli to the core.
Instant Poha Idli / Instant Aval Idli is a common breakfast among all south Indian families which is served with chutney, sambar and podi. This idli can be consumed for dinner also, a best for babies below 12 months and above 7 months.
Instant Poha Idli / Instant Avali idli is easy and simple to prepare, also it is very soft, fluffy and spongy and so this can be served for anyone from a 7 months old baby till an elder person. I have paired this idli with Kara Chutney / spicy Chutney and Idli milgai podi. Let me share the recipe …
Making of Instant Poha Idli / Instant Aval Idli –
CLICK HERE for more breakfast recipes.
- Poha / Aval / Flattened Rice – 1 cup
- Idly Rava / Rice Rava / Rice in the form of semolina – 1 ½ cups
- Sour curd / Yogurt – ¾ cup
- Eno / Cooking soda / Soda uppu – 1 tbsp
- Salt to taste
- Soak the idly rava for 4 hours, I have soaked for just 2 hrs.
- Wash the aval/poha and soak it for 2 hrs.
- Drain the water from the idly rava and aval/poha, mash the soaked poha with the backside of your spoon.
- Mix both the idly rava and aval/poha, pour in the sour curd followed by eno/cooking soda and salt.
- Mix it well, let it rest until you ready the idli steamer.
- Pour water in the idli steamer, cover and bring it to boil.
- Scoop the batter to the idli mould, place it in the steamer, cover and cook until the idli is steamed. (insert a spoon in the center of the idli, if the spoon comes out clean the idli is perfectly steamed).
- Remove it from the idli mould and transfer it to a bowl.
Serve hot with any chutney. I have serve it with Spicy chutney / Kara Chutney.