Jack fruit is one among the special fruits of summer. I use to have jack fruit, not to very often or I am not a fan of Jack fruit. But my daughter likes to the core, when she finds Jack fruit in the market, she urges to get it. Yesterday as of my daughter’s wanting and for a ritual as offering my hubby got Jack fruit. He got more the quantity of Jack Fruit, she had little and I kept the other in refrigerator.
Today morning when I saw the Jack Fruit, I thought of trying some recipe with Jack fruit and had a chat with my friend about this, she told me that her aunty prepares Jack Fruit Idly which would be yummy and also she guaranteed that not only kids even we would finish it in minutes. So I wanted to try it immediately.
Taking this to Fiesta Friday #115 hosted by Angie@thenovicegarderner.
A very easy, simple, no fermentation and ready in minutes, finger licking Idlies – JACK FRUIT IDLY. A perfect time to give a try, never miss it else you need to wait till the next summer.
As of vacation, my hall will be filled with kids (my kids friends) most of the time, these girls came to kitchen screaming Aunty what are you making, as a food blogger, I requested them to wait for few minutes until my photo shoot is over 😛
Also I made few quantity of Idly using the mini idly mould and the rest in regular idly mould. These girls had those mini idlies and told me awesome and a completely different idly. I was happy, what would a mother need than this and now my kids want to have JACK FRUIT Idly atleast once in a week for breakfast and snack time 🙂 . Let me share the recipe…
Do check out my other Breakfast recipes in this link: https://madraasi.com/recipes/breakfast-dinner/ and snacks recipe in this link: https://madraasi.com/recipes/snacks/ and summer recipes in this link: https://madraasi.com/2016/04/07/summer-recipes-chill-chill-cool-cool/.
Preparation Time – 30 mins
Cooking Time – 20 mins
Yields – 15 regular Idlies and 30 mini Idlies
1 cup = 160 ml (rice cooker cup)
- Jack Fruit – 7 nos
- Rava / Semolina – 1 cup
- Palm jaggery (crushed) – 3 tbsp
- Coconut (pieces or shredded) – a handful
- Cardamom powder – ½ tsp
- Salt to taste
- Take rava/semolina in a kadai, add dry roast them until it start turning golden brown in color.
- Remove the roasted rava/semolina to a plate, keep it aside.
- Take the coconut pieces or shredded ones in a blender and blend them well.
- Deseed the jack fruit and add in the jack fruit along with the grounded coconut, Blend them again.
- Add in 3 tbsp of palm jaggery and blend them all together to a fine paste or coarse paste as you desire.
- Add in the grounded mixture to the rava along with the required amount of salt and cardamom powder.
- Mix them well, it with a spoon (no lumps should be formed).
- Add in ½ cup of water, mix it well and rest for 20 mins.
- Now grease the idly mould with oil or ghee and spoon in the batter.
- Gently place it in the idly steamer and cook in medium flame for 20 mins.
- Remove the idly mould from the steamer and remove the idly to the plate.
Platting: Deseed a jack fruit and finely chop them into tiny pieces, sprinkle those pieces over the idlies along with powdered palm jaggery.