Venn Pongal is a traditional SouthIndian breakfast dish. It is very easy and quick to prepare. The flavor of ghee with pepper is the unique taste of pongal. The shine and smell of ghee in pongal will tempt everyone towards Pongal. It is served with Tiffin Sambhar, Chutney.
Do check out my other breakfast recipes in this link: https://madraasi.com/recipes/breakfast-dinner/ and pongal recipes in this link: https://madraasi.com/2015/01/14/pongal-recipes-wish-you-all-a-happy-pongal-with-madraasi/
- Raw rice – 2 cups
- Split Moong dal – 1 cup
- Ghee – 1 ½ tbsp
- Peppercorns – 15 nos
- Cumin seeds – 1 ½ tsp
- Water – 6 cups
- Salt to taste
- Curry leaves – a strand
Making of Venn Pongal / Ven Pongal / Khara Pongal / Spicy Pongal:
- Take rice and dal together in a bowl. Rinse them very well.
- Drain them completely.
- Crush peppercorns and cumin seeds.
- Heat oil in kadai or pressure cooker.
- Pour ghee and put the peppercorns, cumin seeds and curry leaves. Wait till they crackle.
- Put the drained rice and dal. Fry them till the raw smell goes off.
- Pour water and add salt. .
- Stir them well, bring it to boil and cover and cook or pressure-cook for 3 to 4 whistles.
- Remove the lid and mash the rice with a spoon.
- Drizzle little ghee/clarified butter over the ven pongal.
Serve hot with Sambar and Coconut chutney.