Karuppatti Mittai is one of the most famous and authentic sweet in Thoothukudi District (thoothukudi, kovilpatti and sathur). It’s my favorite from childhood, since it resembles the shape of ladder, I use to call it “Yeannipadi Mittai (ladder candy)”. It has been years, I had this sweet, so when I thought of preparing sweets for Diwali this was on my list when I got the recipe.
As I have heard it would be difficult in the making, thought atleast if reach some 75% to the exact taste I would be happy. But it was a wonder when it was perfect, my kids liked it to the core. Also it was vanished in minutes. So hereafter I would say Karuppati Mittai will be prepared very often by me. Let me share the recipe…
CLICK HERE for more Diwali sweets and savories and CLICK HERE for more dessert recipe and CLICK HERE for more snacks recipe.
Karupatti Mittai / PalmJaggery Candy
Karupatti Mittai / PalmJaggery Candy
- Raw rice / Pacharisi – ¾ cup
- White Lentil / Urad dal / Ulundam paruppu – ¼ cup
- Karuppatti / Palm Jaggery – 300 gm
- Dry ginger (sukku) powder – ¾ tsp
- Cardamom powder – ½ tsp
- Oil for deep frying
Making of Karuppatti Mittai / Palm Jaggery Candy –
- Soak the raw rice and white lentil separately in water for overnight. Drain the water, grind it to a fine paste by sprinkling water. Transfer it to a bowl and let it rest for 15 to 30 mins,
- Meanwhile, prepare palm jaggery syrup – Crush the palm jaggery, add it to a heavy bottomed vessel, pour a cup of water, cook in medium flame and stir until it dissolves.
- Once dissolves, strain the impurities and again cook in medium flame with dry ginger powder and cardamom powder until it reaches syrup consistency.
- Meanwhile oil in a kadai, take a plastic sheet or milk packet, clean it well and make a small hole at the bottom of the packet.
- Fill it with the batter, and start piping it to the oil, when it’s hot.
- Turn the side and cook on both sides, do not over-cook them.
- Remove it from fire and drop it to the palm jaggery syrup, give a gently press, so that it would get soaked well in the syrup.
- Remove it from the syrup, wait until it comes to room temperature.
Stays fresh for 3 days in room temperature.
Maida Cake or Maida Biscuit is one of the sweet snack found in all Tamil Nadu Bakeries. A very easy and simple deep fried snack which can be prepared in bulk and stored in an air-tight container for 2 weeks. It is most commonly prepared around Deepavali / Diwali in all south Indian families. Let me share the recipe…
Taking this to Fiesta Friday #140 hosted by Angie@thenovicegarderner.
For more Diwali / Deepavali recipes – CLICK HERE and more snacks recipes – Click here.
Maida Cake / Maida Biscuits
- Maida / All-purpose flour – 1 cup (1 cup = 200 ml)
- Melted Butter – 2 ½ tbsp
- Sugar – 1 ½ tbsp
- Milk – 3 tbsp
- Cooking soda – a pinch
- Cardamom powder – a pinch
- Salt – a pinch
- Oil for deep frying.
Making of Maida Cake / Maida Biscuits –
- Take maida/all-purpose flour, melted butter, sugar, milk, cooking soda, cardamom powder, and salt in a bowl.
- Mix them well with your hands, sprinkle little water and knead it to dough.
- Let the dough rest for 5 to 10 mins, so that the sugar would get melted.
- Meanwhile heat oil in a kadai. Take a small portion of the rolled out dough and roll it in between your palms (lengthwise).
- Chop them into small pieces and deep fry them in oil.
- Cook only in medium flame, so that it would be cooked well else it would be burnt and remain uncooked in the center.
- Drain the oil and remove them from fire.
- Bring it room temperature and store them in an air-tight container for 2 weeks.
Note: Measurement is very important in this recipe, if the butter gets increased it would be flaky and if it gets reduced it would be hard. Also if the sugar gets increased it would be burnt immediately, so take care of the measurements. Make sure only to sprinkle water when you knead the dough.
Yummly one among the greatest platform for foodies, it helps us to find the perfect recipes based on the cuisine, taste, ingredient, cooking time, holidays, festivals and so on. Also it helps you search over more recipes and save your favorites to your recipe box.
I got to know about Yummly, while I was surfing for recipes. I liked this platform as it saves my time, in surfing the recipes, otherwise I would be surfing for almost an hour. As a part of this, I too wanted my recipes to be featured there and so I resulted in connecting with yummly. Now you can save, view my recipes in Yummly also. Want to save your time, come join me in Yummly.