Mutton Paya is nothing but the curry made out from lamb legs, the lamb legs are cut, smoked and then cleaned for curry. I love this curry to the core when accompanied with hoppers/appam or string hoppers/idiyappam. I would say that my all-time favorite and heavenly recipe. Also I have asked for sharing this recipes long time back, but just now I got time to share with you.
Making of Idiyappam and Paya –
A simple, easy, little time consuming, very delicious and also good for sore throat and cough. A comfort food in times of sick. This is an authentic and traditional dish of south Indians. I have shared one more recipe with this lamb legs but it’s curry served for steamed rice and this one is unique dish for hopper, string hoppers, idly and dosa. Let us move on to the recipe…
Yaaaay!!! It’s Friday, I am taking it to the Fiesta Friday #70 hosted by Angie@thenovicegardener.
- Lamb legs – 4 legs (smoked and chopped)
- Onions – 2 nos
- Shallots / Small onions – 15 nos
- Turmeric powder – ½ tsp
- Black peppercorns – 2 tsp
- Mustard seeds – ¼ tsp
- Grated coconut – 3 tbsp
- Cumin seeds – 2 tsp
- Bay leaf – 1 no
- Cinnamon – 1 “ inch stick
- Cloves – 5 nos
- Coconut milk – 2 cups
- Cumin powder – 1 tsp
- Garlic – 5 cloves
- Ginger – 1 “inch stick
- Curry leaves – two sprig
- Salt to taste
- Cashew nuts – 10 nos
- Oil – 1 tbsp
- Peel the small onions, take onions, 1 ½ tsp of cumin seeds, 1 ½ tsp of peppercorns, ginger and garlic together and crush them using mortar and pestle.
- Pressure-cook the lamb legs with ½ tsp of turmeric powder and crushed mixture for about 5 to 6 whistles.
- Remove the lid, when the pressure subsides.
- Peel and finely chop the onions. Grind the coconut to fine paste by adding little water.
- Soak cashew nuts in water and grind them to paste by adding little water.
- Heat oil in a kadai, add bay leaf, cinnamon, cloves, mustard seeds, leftover cumin seeds and wait till they crackle.
- Add in the onions and curry leaves, cook until the onions turns transparent. Ensure that onions should not turn brown or golden brown because the color and the taste of the dish would be changed.
- Pour in the grounded coconut mixture and cook until the raw smell goes off or until starts turning golden brown in color.
- Pour in the pressure-cooked lamb legs along with stock, add in salt, cumin powder and ¼ tsp of pepper powder and allow it to boil for few 5 mins.
- Pour in the coconut milk along with a cup of water, cover and cook for 10 mins until the raw smell goes off.
- Pour in the cashew paste, cover and cook for few mins until the raw smell goes off.
Serve hot with appam/hoppers and idiyappam/string hoppers.