Recently during our trip to Kanyakumari, after a long walk and site seeing, we wanted to have something refreshing and thought of having soda, but the shopkeeper recommended us to have their nungu sharbhat.
Also do check out my Nungu Milkshake, Nungu Payasam (kheer) with Video, Nungu Crumble prepared by my son, Pistachios Nungu Mousse.
Nungu Sharbhat / Ice-Apple cooler / Toddy Palm Cooler – Summer Recipes
Nungu Sharbhat is a natural coolant, which refreshes people during summer and also helps in digestion after a long day work. Also it’s very tasty and healthy to have, as nungu is a seasonal fruit and summer is about to go, give a try to this nungu sharbhat as soon as possible. I have prepared two versions of this sharbath both with soda/sparkling water and the regular one.
Taking it to Fiesta Friday #173 hosted by Angie@thenovicegarderner.
CLICK HERE for more summer recipes and CLICK HERE for more Beverages recipes.
- Nungu (hard – 4 no’s, soft – 3 no’s) – 7 no’s
- Nannari / Sarsaparilla Syrup – 5 tbsp
- Lemon juice – 3 tbsp
- Sugar (optional) – 3 tsp
- Sabja / Falooda seeds – 4 tbsp
Making of Nungu Sharbath / Ice-Apple cooler / Toddy palm cooler –
- Soak falooda/sabja seeds in water for 20 mins.
- Peel the hard nungu’s and grind it to fine paste by sprinkling little water.
- Peel and finely chop the soft nungu’s to fine pieces and keep it aside for topping.
- For regular version – Take a glass, add 2 to 3 tsps of nungu paste, pour 2 tbsp of nannari syrup, a tbsp of lemon juice and water. Mix it well, so that the nungu paste blends well with the juice, add a tbsp of soaked sabja / falooda seeds. Top it with finely chopped nungu pieces, refrigerate and serve chilled.
- For Soda version – Take a glass, add 2 to 3 tsps of nungu paste, pour 2 tbsp of nannari syrup, a tbsp of lemon juice and sparkling water. Mix it well, so that the nungu paste blends well with the juice, add a tbsp of soaked sabja / falooda seeds. Top it with finely chopped nungu pieces and serve chilled.
Wednesday Calls for EXOTIC, last week it was Idiyappam Paya / Stringhoppers and Lamb Trotters I made for Exotic wednesday – give a try and CLICK HERE for that Link and today it’s going to be more exotic as – the recipe is a summer coolant and the main thing is my son HIRESH is preparing this dish NUNGU CRUMBLE for you.
Taking it to Fiesta Friday #167 hosted by Angie@thenovicegarderner.
Idiyappam Paya / StringHoppers and Lamb Trotters
CLICK HERE for more SUMMER RECIPES.
Already I have shared Nungu / Ice-Apple Crumble with Lemon juice and sugar, this year with Palm Jaggery sryup and Nannari Syrup. Give a try guys and beat the heat with the natural products. Let me share the recipe…
Nungu / Ice-Apple Crumble
- Nungu / Ice-Apple – 15 nos
- Palm Jaggery syrup – 1 tbsp
- Nannari syrup – 1 tbsp
- Lemon juice – 1 tbsp
- Sugar – 1 ½ tsp
Making of Nungu / Ice-Apple Crumble with 3 versions –
- Peel all the nungu together, transfer it to a bowl, crumble them well with your hands.
- Divide them to equal proportion in 3 bowls.
- Add palm jaggery sryup along with 2 tsp of lemon juice, mix it well and serve chilled.
- Add nannari syrup along with a tsp of lemon juice, mix it well and serve chilled.
- Add the leftover lemon juice and sugar, mix it well and serve chilled.
When the boiling summer started, not only kids but also kids and elder people, we crave to have something chill like ice creams and juices. But for having this we need to move to an ice cream parlour or a super market in this boiling summer. Nobody wants to move out, but you can do something which is healthy, perfect for summer with everything natural.
As a result comes my melon popsicles, a very healthy, no added preservatives, colors, essence and everything natural and kids can have as many as they want. Also a perfect way for kids to consume fruits for summers. A perfect coolant give a try and #beattheheat this summer. Let us move on to the recipe…
Do check out my other summer recipes in this link: https://madraasi.com/2016/04/07/summer-recipes-chill-chill-cool-cool/
Preparation Time: 4 to 6 hrs
Yields: 12 Popsicles
- Watermelon – ½ kg
- Musk melon – ½ kg
- Grapes (Black) – 15 nos
- Sugar – 2 tbsp (optional)
Melon popsicles with Grapes
Watermelon Popsicles, Muskmelon Popsicle and Watermelon and Muskemlon Popsicles
- Separate the skin of watermelon, roughly chop them into pieces, deseed the pieces and keep them aside.
- Separate the skin of muskmelon, scoop out the seeds, roughly chop them into pieces and keep them aside.
- Wash and slice the grapes into thin pieces and keep it aside.
- Take the watermelon in a blender along with a tbsp. of sugar and blend them to a juice, transfer it to a bowl and keep it aside.
- Take the popsicles mould, fill half of the mould with watermelon juice and add in few pieces of grapes.
- Freeze them for 2 hrs or until it freezes (medium solid), do not cover it.
- Remove the popsicles from the freezer, pour in the muskmelon over the watermelon, and add in grapes slices.
- Cover the popsicles or insert a ice cream stick and freeze it for another 3 to 4 hrs or until it freezes completely.
- After 4 hrs remove the popsicles from the freezer and keep them in a bowl of tap water for 5 mins.
- Gently lift the cover to get the popsicles.
Note: You can also make this any fruits of your flavor or can make with a single fruit. Also I have prepared few muskmelon popsicles and watermelon popsicles. If you like to have little spicy flavor in the popsicles, you can add ¼ tsp of black pepper powder and a pinch of salt along with sugar when you are about to blend.