Recipes for Kathigai Deepam
Peanut laddu / Nilakadalai urundai
Roasted gram ladoo / Pottukadalai urundai
Karthigi Deepam lunch
Do check out my payasam (10+ varieties) collections: https://madraasi.com/2015/08/27/payasam-kheer-collection/.
Nei Appam is type of paniyaram prepared with rice flour flavored with jaggery syrup, grated coconut, cardamom powder and dry ginger powder. It can be served for breakfast, snacks and also an offering to god during Vinayagar Chaturthi and Krishna jeyanthi.
CLICK HERE for more Krishna Jayanthi recipes.
- Ripe Banana – 2 noss
- Jaggery / Vellam / Palm sugar – 1 cup
- Water – 1 cup
- Rice flour – 2 cup
- Cardamom powder – 2 tsp
- Dry Ginger powder – 1 tsp
- Baking soda – ½ tsp
- Oil/Ghee for frying
Ground banana. jaggery, cardamom
Batter getting ready
Appam batter, after fermented
Appam getting fried
- Peel the banana. Make it to smooth paste in blender.
- Heat jaggery and water till it is melted. Sieve through the strainer, pour over the banana and mix well.
- Take it in a bowl, add cardamom powder, dry ginger powder and mix it well.
- Add in the rice flour and mix well so that a thick batter is formed. If its thick adjust with water for the consistency.
- Now add in baking soda and mix well. Cover the batter and let it ferment for 3 to 4 hrs.
- Now heat the paniyaram pan and drop ghee in all the holes.
- Drop a spoonful of this batter in hot ghee and fry till golden brown on one side.
- Flip over and cook for another few mins till it becomes golden brown.
Making of Nei appam / Unniappam –