Payasam is a must in all tamil festival offerings and meals, may be a festival, family function. Usually I used to prepare a Tamil Vegetarian meals that I serve in Banana leaf for Tamil New Year, but this year thought of curating a special dish for Tamil New Year.
Here came the concept “Mukkani” in my mind, Mukkani means Tri-Fruit. In Tamil literature, Mukkani / Tri-Fruit refers to Mangoes, Jack fruit and Bananas. As these fruits are seasonal and available all together at this summer, thought of preparing a dessert with these fruits which resulted in my MUKKANI PAYASAM / TRI-FRUIT KHEER.
Taking it to Fiesta Friday #167 hosted by Angie@thenovicegarderner.
CLICK HERE for more Payasam / Kheer recipes and CLICK HERE for more Summer recipes.
Mukkani Payasam is a rich, delicious, flavorful and heavenly dish that can be served as a dessert in meals or as an offering to God. Give a try, as these fruits will available only in this summer, don’t miss it…
- Mango – ½ no
- Jack Fruit – 3 nos
- Banana – 1 no (big)
- Milk – ½ litre (full fat milk)
- Raw rice – 2 tbsp
- Cardamom powder – ¼ tsp
- Sugar – 3 tbsp
- Ghee / Clarified butter – 2 tbsp
- Cashew nuts – 10 nos
- Raisins – 5 nos
Making of Mukkani Payasam / Tri-Fruit Kheer –
- Peel and roughly chop half the quantity of mango and banana, de-seed the jack fruit and grind these all together to a fine paste with a tbsp of milk.
- Finely chop the leftover mangoes, banana and jack fruit (lengthwise) and keep it aside.
- Grind the rice to a coarse powder and keep it aside.
- Boil the milk in heavy bottomed vessel, add the cardamom powder once the milk got boiled.
- Add the coarsely ground rice to the milk and let it boil.
- Cook in low flame until the rice boils completely and milk reduces to half the quantity.
- Meanwhile heat a tbsp of ghee/clarified butter in a small kadai, roast the cashew nuts and raisins until they turn golden brown in color.
- Remove it to a bowl.
- Pour the leftover ghee/clarified butter to the same kadai, roast the finely chopped fruits (banana, jack fruit and mangoes) until they turn golden brown.
- Once the rice is boiled, add sugar followed by the roasted cashew nuts and raisins along with the ghee/clarified butter, give a stir and cook in low flame for 2 mins.
- Turn of the flame, add the roasted fruits, give a stir.
- Transfer it to a bowl.
Serve hot or bring it to room temperature, refrigerate and serve chilled. Garnish with roasted fruits before you serve.