Appam is a type of south Indian pancake made with fermented rice batter and coconut known as Hoppers. It is a most popular dish in Kerala and southern most part of TamilNadu. It is eaten most frequently for dinner and breakfast. Appams are soft and spongy in the centre and has a lacy border. It is very good for babies as it does not require much oil. Appam can be made only in the pan which is made for making appam.
CLICK HERE for more Breakfast Recipes, CLICK HERE to know how to make Appam, CLICK HERE to know how to make Egg Appam / Mutta Appam, CLICK HERE for more Basic recipes.
Appam Batter without yeast / How to grind Appam batter in mixie
- Raw rice – 2 cups
- Urad dhall – ½ cup
- Methi seeds or Fenugreek – 1 tsp
- Coconut (grated) – 2 tbsp
- Cooking soda – 1/2 tsp
- Appam pan
Making of Appam Batter without yeast / How to grind Appam batter in mixie –
- Soak all the ingredients together in water except cooking soda and coconut for about 5 hours.
- Grind it to a smooth paste.
- Add salt, coconut and grind it till it gets mixed well.
- Leave it to ferment.
- When its fermented, mix it with ¼ cup of water.
Appam is served with Coconut milk and sugar or Paya (lamb leg cooked in thick gravy) or Vegetable Stew or Chicken Stew.
Ragi Dosa is one of the most common dish I cook very often for breakfast, as ragi/finger millet comes with loads of health benefits. Using this batter you can make plain dosa, onion dosa, onion and green chillies dosa and even uttapam. Let me share the recipe…
For other breakfast recipes – Click here and 10+ Dosa varieties – Click here.
Making of Ragi Dosai / Finger Millet Dosa –
- Mix the batter well, check for salt in the batter, if needed you can sprinkle little.
- Heat tawa, rub with little oil.
- Spoon the batter with ladle in the center of the tawa, spread it all over the tawa (circle shape).
- Drizzle little oil or ghee along the sides and center of Dosa.
- Wait for 3 mins or until till the dosa starts turning golden brown. Swap the sides and cook for another min.
- Remove from fire.
After fermentation – Ragi / finger Millet Batter
Dosa getting cooked
Dosa getting cooked
Dosa with onions and curry leaves
Onion Ragi Dosa
Serve Dosa with Sambar and Chutney.
Note: For Onion Ragi Dosa – chop the onions to fine pieces and sprinkle onion over the batter once got spreaded and wait until it gets cooked.