Karuppatti Mittai is one of the most famous and authentic sweet in Thoothukudi District (thoothukudi, kovilpatti and sathur). It’s my favorite from childhood, since it resembles the shape of ladder, I use to call it “Yeannipadi Mittai (ladder candy)”. It has been years, I had this sweet, so when I thought of preparing sweets for Diwali this was on my list when I got the recipe.
As I have heard it would be difficult in the making, thought atleast if reach some 75% to the exact taste I would be happy. But it was a wonder when it was perfect, my kids liked it to the core. Also it was vanished in minutes. So hereafter I would say Karuppati Mittai will be prepared very often by me. Let me share the recipe…
CLICK HERE for more Diwali sweets and savories and CLICK HERE for more dessert recipe and CLICK HERE for more snacks recipe.
- Raw rice / Pacharisi – ¾ cup
- White Lentil / Urad dal / Ulundam paruppu – ¼ cup
- Karuppatti / Palm Jaggery – 300 gm
- Dry ginger (sukku) powder – ¾ tsp
- Cardamom powder – ½ tsp
- Oil for deep frying
Making of Karuppatti Mittai / Palm Jaggery Candy –
- Soak the raw rice and white lentil separately in water for overnight. Drain the water, grind it to a fine paste by sprinkling water. Transfer it to a bowl and let it rest for 15 to 30 mins,
- Meanwhile, prepare palm jaggery syrup – Crush the palm jaggery, add it to a heavy bottomed vessel, pour a cup of water, cook in medium flame and stir until it dissolves.
- Once dissolves, strain the impurities and again cook in medium flame with dry ginger powder and cardamom powder until it reaches syrup consistency.
- Meanwhile oil in a kadai, take a plastic sheet or milk packet, clean it well and make a small hole at the bottom of the packet.
- Fill it with the batter, and start piping it to the oil, when it’s hot.
- Turn the side and cook on both sides, do not over-cook them.
- Remove it from fire and drop it to the palm jaggery syrup, give a gently press, so that it would get soaked well in the syrup.
- Remove it from the syrup, wait until it comes to room temperature.
Stays fresh for 3 days in room temperature.