Aadi Paal or Aadi Thengaipaal or Aadi Thengaipaal payasam is prepared in the first day of the tamil month Aadi. Usually people make koozh/porridge, steamed balls/kozhukattai on this month and offer for god, later they serve for all the people coming to temple. Friday are very special in this Aadi month. Generally wedding or any auspicious occasion is not done during this month of aadi.
This is the first time, I have prepared this Aadi Thengaipaal or Thengaipaal Payasam. It was delicious and very simple and consumes less time for preparation. Also happy that I got one more variety in my payasam collection. Let us move on to the recipe…
It’s Friday and I am taking it to Fiesta Friday #79 hosted by Angie@thenovicegarderner.
- Thick coconut milk – ¾ cup
- Thin coconut milk – ¼ cup
- Jaggery syrup – ¼ cup
- Cardamom powder – ¼ tsp
- Cashew nuts – 10 nos
- Raisins – 10 nos
- Ghee – 2 tbsp.
- Jaggery Syrup: Crush the jaggery into small pieces, in a heavy bottomed vessel add in this crushed jaggery and pour in a cup of water, allow it boil and wait until the jaggery is dissolved and the syrup thickens. Strain and keep it aside.
- Extract Coconut milk by grinding coconut pieces with a cup of water and then strain it and keep aside. Continue this process for few times. Keep the first and second extract separately as thick coconut milk and the rest as thin coconut milk.
- Now keep the strained jaggery syrup in low flame, wait until it gets hot.
- Pour in the coconut milk and sprinkle the cardamom powder and give a stir, keep in low flame.
- Heat ghee in a kadhai, add in the cashewnuts and raisins, and cook until it turns golden brown.
- Pour this to the payasam, give a stir and keep in low flame.
- Remove from fire, when it starts boiling.
Making of Coconut milk –
- Cooking should be done only in low flame after pouring coconut milk.
- It will look runny but will become semi-thick once it comes to room temperature.
- You can also use store bought coconut milk, but add a cup of water along with that.
- If it starts boiling, the payasam would split.