” Wish you all a Happy Maha Shivaratri” from MADRAASI
Maha Shivaratri is celebrated once in a year in late winter and before the arrival of spring, marks Maha Shivaratri which means “the Great Night of Shiva”. It is observed by remembering shiva and chanting prayers, fasting, doing yoga and mediatating. The ardent devotees stay awake all night and visit Shiva temple.
In Tamil nadu, people gather in temple at the night of Maha Shivratri and do meditation or chant or write “Om Namashivaya” the whole night. Also in few places there would be music concert, stage dramas or dance depicting the life of Lord Shiva throughout the whole night.
Here are few recipes for Maha Shivatri – Thandai, Tapioca Pearls Kheer, Badam Halwa , Makhane Ki Kheer (Fox nuts kheer).
Tapioca pearls Kheer / Javvarisi Payasam
Badam (Almond) Halwa
Makhane Ki Kheer / Phool Makhana Kheer / Lotus Seeds Payasam
Thandai is a very popular drink in North India prepared during Mahasivarathiri and Holi. So as a south Indian I am unaware of this Holi festival, so googled to know about Holi. Being a food blogger thought of doing something for this Holi, found too many recipes but since I was back to home by yesterday from hometown with full of tiredness, thought of doing two recipes. Among one is this THANDAI which is the most important drink for this festival.
I love a lot when it comes to milk may be a drink or dessert, so when I found the THANDAI recipe with milk, saffron and few spices, how to miss it. So started checking for the availability of the ingredients in my kitchen and started preparing it at once.
It is a refreshing drink especially for summer which acts as a body coolant too. Taking this to Fiesta Friday hosted by Angie, Let us move on to the recipe…
- Milk – 1 litre
- Sugar – 5 tbsp
- Saffron – 6 to 8 strands
- Rose essence – ½ tsp
- Almonds / Badam – 30 nos
- Poppy / Kasakasa seeds – 1 tsp
- Fennel seeds – 1 tsp
- Cardamom powder – ½ tsp
- Black Peppercorns – 5 nos
Milk boiling with Saffron threads
Grounded spice paste
Grounded spice paste with milk
Residue getting strained
Garnished with pista/pistachios and saffron threads
- Soak Almonds/Badam, poppy seeds, fennel seeds and black peppercorns all together in water for 20 mins.
- Boil the milk and keep in medium flame for another 10 mins. Scrap out the sides with spoon and put them again to the milk.
- Add in the sugar, saffron threads and give a stir, for the sugar to get dissolve in the milk.
- Grind the soaked ingredients to fine paste by adding little water if needed.
- Mash the thread nicely to get dissolve in the milk.
- Cool down the milk, now add in the grounded and stir well, so that no lumps are formed.
- Set aside for 20 mins and then strain it. Discard the residue, add the rose essence.
- Refrigerate it and serve chilled.
Garnish with finely chopped pista/pistachios and few strands of saffron.
Note: After the grounded paste is added, give a resting time for it to get blended well with milk. You can also add rose petals before serving.