” Wish you all a Happy Maha Shivaratri” from MADRAASI
Maha Shivaratri is celebrated once in a year in late winter and before the arrival of spring, marks Maha Shivaratri which means “the Great Night of Shiva”. It is observed by remembering shiva and chanting prayers, fasting, doing yoga and mediatating. The ardent devotees stay awake all night and visit Shiva temple.
In Tamil nadu, people gather in temple at the night of Maha Shivratri and do meditation or chant or write “Om Namashivaya” the whole night. Also in few places there would be music concert, stage dramas or dance depicting the life of Lord Shiva throughout the whole night.
Here are few recipes for Maha Shivatri – Thandai, Tapioca Pearls Kheer, Badam Halwa , Makhane Ki Kheer (Fox nuts kheer).
Tapioca pearls Kheer / Javvarisi Payasam
Badam (Almond) Halwa
Makhane Ki Kheer / Phool Makhana Kheer / Lotus Seeds Payasam
As of Maha Shivratri, I want to try out some new dish as offering to God. Thought of preparing a sweet and spicy dish, and took out Akhrot Kaju Sheera as a sweet dish.
Akhrot Kaju Sheera is cashew nuts and walnuts. Walnuts are coarsely powdered and cashew nuts are broken into small pieces, for some graininess and crunchy texture. Let us move on to the recipe…
Akhrot Kaju Sheera
- Walnuts – 1 cup (300 gm)
- Cashew nuts – ¼ cup (15 to 20 pieces)
- Ghee – 1 ½ tsp
- Sugar – ½ cup
- Dry Ginger powder – ½ tsp
Coarsely grounded Akhrot (Walnuts)
Cashew nuts getting roasted in ghee/clarified butter
akhrot powder with ghee/clarified butter
With sugar syrup
With dried ginger powder
With roasted cashew nuts and ghee/clarified butter
Ghee/clarified butter oozing out of the sheera
Akhrot Kaju Sheera
- Take 1 cup of sugar with ½ cup of water, keep in medium flame, stir until the sugar dissolves and wait until the sugar comes to syrup consistency (1 thread consistency).
- Remove from the fire, leave it aside and allow it to reach room temperature.
- Take the walnuts in a blender and grind them to a coarse powder, spread it in a plate, break the lumps and let it come to room temperature.
- Broke the cashew nuts into small pieces and keep it aside.
- Heat 2 tsp of ghee/clarified butter in a non-stick kadai, add in the cashew nuts and fry until they golden brown and remove them from the kadai and keep it aside.
- Add in the coarsely powdered walnuts and fry them until the aroma comes out or until it turns golden brown in color.
- Pour in the sugar syrup and start stirring continuously by adding a tsp of ghee/clarified butter every now and then.
- Sprinkle the Dry ginger powder and continue stirring.
- Keep on stirring until the aroma comes out and add in the roasted cashew nuts and keep on stirring until the sheera oozes out the ghee/clarified butter.
- Transfer it to a greased tray.
Garnish them with roasted cashew nuts and serve immediately.