Mor kulambu/Buttermilk curry is one of the traditional food of South Indians. This can be serves with rice, dosa and idli. It’s very easy and delicious to make. It’s purely made of buttermilk.My kids are very fond of this. Usually Mor kulambu/Buttermilk curry is made with the vegetables rich in water content like White pumpkin/Pusannikkai, Radish/Mullangi and Chowchow. Potato curry goes well as sidedish for Buttermilk curry with rice.
Also Mor Kuzhambu is prepared with and without coconut and here I am sharing Mor kuzhambu without coconut using White pumpkin. Also this is one among the must to prepare in kerala for their onam sadya or kerala meals.
- Curd/Yogurt – ½ litre
- White pumpkin/Pusannikkai – ¼ Kg
- Big onion – 1 no
- Curry leaves – a strand
- Mustard seeds – ¼ tsp
- Fenugreek/Methi seeds – ¼ tsp
- Cumin/Jeera seeds – ¼ tsp
- Chilli powder – ¼ tsp
- Asafoetida – two pinch
- Salt to taste
- Oil – 1 tbsp
- Blend curd/yogurt nicely with a cup of water with little salt.
- Finely chop onions and pumpkin to small pieces.
- Heat oil in a kadai. Put mustard, fenugreek, cumin, curry leaves. Wait till it splatter.
- Put onions and fry till it become transparent.
- Put the pumpkin, turmeric powder, chilli powder and salt. Fry it for a while.
- Pour half cup of water and cover with lid.
- Wait till its cooked.
- Now pour the curd and stir it continuously for about 10 mins.
- Transfer it to a bowl.
Serve hot with rice.