Rajgira is nothing but Amaranth seeds / முலக்கீரை விதை, usually payasam/kheer is prepared with this in North India for Navratri. Commonly it is prepared during Vrat time, as its highly nutritious and very rich in protein.
Very first time tried this Rajgira Kheer using products from Ekgaon, an online platform that connects farmers all over India. I have been using Ekgaon products for few months long and the products are high quality and I am very happy with the result. Give a try to both the recipe and the products from Ekgaon…
Making of Rajgira Kheer / Amaranth seeds payasam recipe –
Rajgira kheer / Payasam is a perfect dish during the time of vrat or Navratri, because of the health benefits in the Amaranth seeds / Rajgira. Also, I have substituted sugar with Dates Palm Sugar / Panangarkandu in tamil, which helps in relieving cold and sore throat. Give a try…
CLICK HERE for more Kheer / Payasam recipe.
- Rajgira / Amaranth seeds / Mulakeerai vithai – 1 cup
- Palm Dates Sugar / Sugar – ¾ cup
- Cardamom – 3 nos
- Milk – ½ litre
- Cashew nuts – 10 nos
- Badam / Almonds – 10 nos
- Saffron strands / Kungumapoo – few strands
- Take the rajgira / amaranth seeds in a strainer and rinse it well in running water.
- Drain the water completely, transfer it to pressure cooker, for 1 cup of rajgira, pour 1 ½ cups of water and pressure cook for 3 whistles in medium flame.
- Meanwhile boil the milk in a pan, crush the cardamom, add cardamom once the milk is boiled and cook in low flame, until the milk reduces to half the quantity.
- Remove the lid from the pressure cooker, once the pressure is completely released.
- Pour the pressure-cooked rajgira to the boiling milk, mix it well and cook for few mins.
- Once it starts thickening, thinly slice the cashew nuts and almonds, add it to the kheer, mix it well and cook for a min.
- Add the Palm dates sugar / panangarkandu to the kheer, mix it well, cook for a min or until the sugar is dissolved.
- Sprinkle the saffron strands, remove it from fire.
Serve hot or chillied. You serve it along with poori for breakfast or serve it as dessert in meals.