This one was my long time wait dish and finally prepared it few days back. Mostly this kuzhipaniyaram batter needs fermentation, but this never needs fermentation and just they are prepared in minutes.
CLICK HERE for more Krishna Jayanthi recipes and CLICK HERE for Vinayagar Chathurthi.
Recently I have heard from few of friends about Online Grocery in Chennai (BigBasket) and their perfect home delivery and so too tired out and felt their home delivery was too good and each reached me on the right time. There was many such items which we get rarely in stores. I too got few millets like pearl millet and Foxtail millet which I get rarely in my neighborhood shops. Not only groceries but they also got meat, beauty products and readymade snacks. Give a try with BigBasket and make your monthly grocery from a place. Also now they have started their service in Chennai.
The dish was delicious and sweet, kids love this dish to the core. This can also be attempted as a salted or spicy version, but since the first time I have given a try with the sweet version. A healthy breakfast or a perfect snack for kids when they are from school. Let us move on to the recipe…
Check out my other snacks recipes in this link: https://madraasi.com/recipes/snacks/
Instant Wheat Paniyaram
Serving: 4 People
Cooking Time: 10 to 15 mins
Preparation Time: 10 min
- Wheat flour – 2 cups
- Banana – 1 (large size)
- Cooking soda – ¼ tsp
- Jaggery syrup – a cup
- Coconut (grated) – ½ cup
- Salt – ¼ tsp
- Ginger powder – ½ tsp
- Cardamom powder – ½ tsp
- Oil or ghee/clarified butter – 3 tbsp
Making of Instant Wheat Appam / Godhumai Paniyaram –
- Prepare Jaggery syrup.
- Take wheat flour, cardamom powder, cooking soda, grated coconut, and pinch of salt, ginger powder all together in a bowl.
- Mash the banana, add it to the bowl and keep mixing it with the flour.
- Pour in jaggery syrup little by little, mix well with your hands (be sure that lumps are formed).
- Check for the sugar in the flour, if the sweetness is ok, pour in water little by little and mix it well, it should be in dosa batter or pancake consistency.
- Heat the appe pan / kozhipaniyaram pan, drizzle oil, fill half of the hole with the batter and cover with the lid for 5 mins. Cook in medium flame.
- Remove the lid and swap the sides of the paniyaram, cover and cook for another 5 mins.
- Transfer it to a plate.
Flour and spice powders together
With jaggery syrup
Mixed well with water
Scooped in kadhai
Sides getting swapped
Instant Wheat Appam recipe / Godhumai Paniyaram recipe / Instant wheat paniyaram recipe
Serve hot. A perfect and a healthy snack or breakfast for kids.
Already I have shared about rice buns, but this time it’s completely different with the combination of palmjaggery syrup and palmjaggery dip. I love this to the core, we have this for breakfast. In my childhood, I use to go to Madurai for summer vacation to my grandfather’s house, this kulipaniyaram very common there, we can get it in every nook and corner of the streets in early morning, also there will be a queue waiting for this paniyaram. So I use to keep money and a box near me when I go to bed, and wake up early in the morning and go to the shop to buy this. Very good memories whenever I remember this. Also check out my other breakfast recipes, by clicking this link: https://madraasi.com/recipes/breakfast-dinner/.
Yaay!!! Its’ Friday and I am taking this to Fiesta Friday #70 hosted by angie@thenovicegardener. Let us move on to the recipe…
Karupatti Kuzhipaniyaram / Palmjaggery Ricebuns
- Boil a cup of water with 2 cups of palm jaggery, wait until gets dissolved and becomes semi thick (semi syrup consistency).
- In a bowl, strain the palm jaggery syrup and keep it aside.
- Take appam batter in a bowl, pour in the batter in each and every hole. Drizzle little oil around the sides of the buns/paniyaram.
- Swap the side and cook.
Serve hot with Palm Jaggery Syrup.
Note: Check out this link for appam batter: https://madraasi.com/2014/02/11/appam-or-hoppers/
Nei Appam is type of paniyaram prepared with rice flour flavored with jaggery syrup, grated coconut, cardamom powder and dry ginger powder. It can be served for breakfast, snacks and also an offering to god during Vinayagar Chaturthi and Krishna jeyanthi.
CLICK HERE for more Krishna Jayanthi recipes.
- Ripe Banana – 2 noss
- Jaggery / Vellam / Palm sugar – 1 cup
- Water – 1 cup
- Rice flour – 2 cup
- Cardamom powder – 2 tsp
- Dry Ginger powder – 1 tsp
- Baking soda – ½ tsp
- Oil/Ghee for frying
Ground banana. jaggery, cardamom
Batter getting ready
Appam batter, after fermented
Appam getting fried
- Peel the banana. Make it to smooth paste in blender.
- Heat jaggery and water till it is melted. Sieve through the strainer, pour over the banana and mix well.
- Take it in a bowl, add cardamom powder, dry ginger powder and mix it well.
- Add in the rice flour and mix well so that a thick batter is formed. If its thick adjust with water for the consistency.
- Now add in baking soda and mix well. Cover the batter and let it ferment for 3 to 4 hrs.
- Now heat the paniyaram pan and drop ghee in all the holes.
- Drop a spoonful of this batter in hot ghee and fry till golden brown on one side.
- Flip over and cook for another few mins till it becomes golden brown.
Making of Nei appam / Unniappam –