Paruppu Keerai Sadham is one such perfect food for lunch box, usually when it’s spinach most of the kids you bring back the box home, happens in my home too. So, thought of preparing something which would be liked and most important not easier to separate the spinach from rice for my kid’s lunch box and this resulted in Paruppu kerria sadham / lentil spinach rice.
CLICK HERE for more Vegetarian recipes
Paruppu keerai sadham was delicious with mild spiciness, mashing consistency and easy to consume in school. Most important with the wonderful health benefits of paruppu and keerai / Lentil and Spinach. Give a try…
- Rice – 1 cup
- Split pigeon peas / Tuvaram paruppu / Toor dal – ½ cup
- Spinach (Amaranth / Arakeerai) – 2 handsful
- Mustard seeds / Kadugu – ¼ tsp
- Cumin seeds / Jeeragam – ¼ tsp
- Curry leaves / Karuvepillai – a sprig
- Onion / Vengayam – 1 no
- Tomato / Thakkali – ½ no
- Turmeric powder / Manjal podi – ¼ tsp
- Cumin powder / Jeeraga podi – 1 tsp
- Red chilli powder / Vathal podi – ½ tsp or green chilli / Pachamillagai – 1 no (optional)
- Oil / Yennai – 1 ½ tbsp
- Salt / Uppu to taste
- Peel and finely chop the onions to small pieces.
- Roughly chop the tomatoes.
- Wash the lentils and rice together, drain the water and keep it aside.
- Wash the spinach leaves and keep it aside.
- Heat oil in a pressure cooker, add the mustard, cumin seeds, curry leaves and wait until it crackle.
- Add the onions and cook until the turn golden brown.
- Add the tomatoes and cook until they turn mushy.
- Add the rice lentil followed by spinach leaves, cook for a min.
- Add the turmeric powder, cumin powder, chilli powder (optional) followed by salt and cook for a min.
- Pour water (1 cup +1/2 cup of lentils pour 3 cups of water), bring it to boil and pressure cook for 4 whistles or until they come to mashing consistency.
- Remove the lid when the pressure subsides, drizzle a tbsp of ghee, stir it well.
Serve hot with appalam / pappad or vadagam / crackers.