Already I have shared that I have been to the MASTER CHEF CLASS to PERSIAN Cooking with Chef Abhijit Saha hosted by Foodhall, 1 MG Road, Bangalore. We were taught 4 dishes, and my daughter went to help Chef for the 4th recipe – BAKLAVA with FIG & HONEY. Also every one of us had a baklava for taste, it was delicious and so we wanted to make it at home. My daughter prepared Baklava and I helped her. When most of us hear the name Baklava, we feel it would be very difficult to prepare, but Chef taught us as easy even a beginner could prepare it.
Thanks Food hall for hosting the event.
Baklava was delicious with the nuts as stuffing, honey drizzled over it and with crispy layers, and we all liked it to the core. I have tried this with Cherries as I was not able to get figs by the time we decided to prepare. Give a try, very simple, easy recipe…
Do check out my other Dessert recipes in this link: https://madraasi.com/recipes/desserts/
Taking this to Fiesta Fiday #114 hosted by Angie@thenovicegarderner.
- Filo sheets – 4 nos
- Unsalted butter – 2 tbsp
- For syrup:
- Water – 50 ml
- Caster sugar – 50 gm
- Honey – 50 gm
- For filling:
- Rose water – ½ tsp
- Cardamom powder – ¼ tsp
- Pistachios – roasted 60 gm
- Almonds/Badam – toasted 60 gm
- Cashew nuts – toasted 60 gm
- To serve:
- Cherries – 5 nos
- Pistachios – 4 nos (minced)
- For Syrup: Make syrup by boiling water, sugar and honey together. Remove from fire, when it comes to syrup consistency and keep it aside.
- For Filling: Crush the nuts coarsely in a food processor and transfer it to a mixing bowl. Add in the cardamom powder and rose water. Pour in the required quantity of syrup, and mix all these together. Keep it aside.
- Take a filo sheet, cut into halves (lengthwise), cover the filo sheets with damp cloth, else it would be dry and break into pieces.
- Take a filo sheet, rub with melted butter, fold it and then again rub it with melted butter.
- Divide the filling into 4 equal balls, roll it.
- Now keep the rolled filling in the filo sheet and roll them gently. Refrigerate it for 30 mins.
- Preheat the oven to 180 degree C.
- Bake at 180 degree C for 5 to 6 mins or until you use golden brown spots on the Baklava
- Serving: Place the Baklava on the serving plate, pour in the leftover syrup, and sprinkle pistachios with some cherries and a mint sprig.
Stay tuned for other recipes also…
Note: You can also bake without refrigerating, but sometimes it would become shapeless by unrolling itself while baking.