Carrot is one of the vegetable which kids love to eat. When it comes for eating rice, they make lot of fuss. Considering they getting leaned towards carrot thought of preparing carrot rice or Pulav. This would be a perfect food for lunch box, and thus caters the need of kids and helps moms to cook a healthy food for their kids. Let us see how to prepare this carrot rice…
Carrot Rice / Carrot Pulao
- Grated Carrot – 1 cup
- Steamed Rice – 2 cups
- Coconut Oil – 2 tbsp
- Green Chilli – 1 no
- Cumin Seeds – ½ tsp
- Mustard Seeds – ½ tsp
- Garlic – 6 pods
- Garam Masala – 1tbsp
- Cashew Nuts – 10 nos
- Salt to taste
Making of Carrot Rice / Carrot Pulao –
- Finely chop the garlic into pieces and slit the green chillies to two equal halves.
- Heat a Kadai and add mustard seeds, cumin seeds and curry leaves and wait until they crackle
- Add cashew nuts, green chilli, finely chopped garlic and cook for a min.
- Add the grated carrot, garam masala, salt and cook until they golden yellow in color.
- Add the steamed rice, stir it well and cook for few mins or until the rice becomes dry.
- Remove from fire.
Spices getting sauted
with green chillies and cashewnuts
with grated carrot
with garam masala and salt
Mixing rice and carrot
Carrot Rice / Carrot Pulao
Serve hot with onion raita or any veg fry. I have served it with spicy green peas fry – Stay tuned for the recipe.
Yakhni pulao is a nawabi recipe made with lot of care and attention like the briyani. It is a must serve on all occasions in Pakistan. It is called as “Yakhni pulao” as the rice is cooked in Yakhni which means “soup” or “stock”. The stock is made by cooking the meat, chicken or veggies with the spices depending on our desire. I have made the stock with chicken, since it’s an version of chicken. The chicken is half cooked in the stock and then again it’s cooked with the rice. The chicken is cooked in with water with spices tied in a muslin cloth called as bouquet garni. The bouquet garni is kept with chicken, water and salt and boiled until the chicken is half done. Then the bouquet garni is squeezed and discarded. The stock is strained and the chicken is kept aside. Then the rice is boiled with this stock, yogurt, green chillies and cardamom. Once done, it’s being garnished with fried onions, mint leaves and cashews. But here I have garnished it just with fried onions. It is served with raita.
- Chicken – ½ kg
- Peppercorns – 15 nos
- Garlic – 10 cloves
- Ginger – 1” inch stick
- Cumin seeds – 2 tsp
- Shajeera/caraway seeds – 2 tsp
- Anise/Saunf – 1 tsp
- Long grained( Basmathi ) rice – 3 cups
- Onions – 2 nos
- Green chillies – 3 nos
- Cardamom – 3 nos
- Ghee/Clarified butter – 1 tbsp
- Oil – 2 tbsp
- Chicken stock – 5 cups
- Salt to taste.
Spices in muslin cloth
Muslin cloth tied with spices
Chicken and spices in muslin cloth getting boiled
Chicken and cloth separated
Onions getting fried
Onions, yogurt and green chillies getting fried
Chicken covered with stock
Chicken getting fried
Rice getting boiled with stock
Yakhni Pulao / Chicken pulao
- In a muslin cloth take peppercorns, cumin seeds, anise, garlic, ginger and shajeera and tie it together.
- Take 6 cups of water in a heavy bottomed bowl, bring it to boil. Drop the muslin bag, chicken pieces and salt.
- Cover and cook it in low flame for about an hour. Drain the water and keep the water and chicken pieces separately in a bowl.
- Thinly slice the onions, slit the green chillies.
- Heat oil and ghee in a pan. Fry onions till golden brown.
- Remove half of the onions from the pan and add yogurt/curd, cardamoms and green chillies in the remaining half and stir for a few minutes.
- Add the chicken pieces and fry for about 5 minutes.
- Add the chicken stock to it and cover with the lid. Bring it to boil.
- When it begins to boil, add the rice and salt.
- Stir gently to mix all the ingredients.
- Cover tightly with the lid.
- Remove the lid, when the rice is cooked.
- Sprinkle the fried onions on it.
Serve hot with raita.