Few months back we had a wonderful trip to Masinagudi, there came to know about the Bamboo rice, how it’s cultivated, harvested through a security uncle of our resort. Also he guided us where to purchase Bamboo Rice, that was freshly harvested in and around Masinagudi. I totally forgot about this rice, finally while cleaning kitchen, got to see this Bamboo rice and immediately planned to prepare a dish out of this Bamboo rice. It was during Navratri – Saraswathi Puja – so I prepared pongal.
It was yummy and delicious. Let me share the recipe…
CLICK HERE for more pongal recipes.
- Moongil Arisi / Bamboo Rice – 1 cup
- Milk – 1 ½ cups
- Jaggery – 1 cup
- Grated Coconut – 2 tbsp
- Cashew nuts – 15 nos
- Raisins – 10 nos
- Ghee / Clarified butter – 2 tbsp
- Cardamom powder – ¼ tsp
- Salt – a pinch
- Soak bamboo rice / moongil arisi in water for 5 to 6 hrs.
- Prepare Jaggery syrup – Crush the jaggery, take it in a heavy-bottom vessel, pour ½ cup of water, stir until the jaggery dissolves and cook in medium flame, until it comes to a syrup consistency.
- Pressure-cook moongil arisi/ bamboo rice for 4 whistles, remove the lid when the pressure releases.
- Meanwhile boil the milk, sprinkle cardamom powder and cook in medium flame until reduces to ½ the quantity.
- Heat a small pan, add ghee/clarified butter, cashew nuts and raisins, cook until the cashew nuts turn golden brown. Remove from fire.
- Add the pressure-cooked bamboo rice/moongil arisi to the milk along with the nuts roasted in ghee/clarified butter followed by a pinch of salt.
- Stir well and cook in medium flame for another few mins or until all the ingredients blend well with the milk.
- Pour in the jaggery syrup and add the grated coconut, give a mix, cook in low flame for few mins or until it thickens.
Serve hot. This can be served for any occasions, but I prefer it as an offering to God and later served among families.