Murukku/Chakli is one among my family’s favorite savory snack. Both my kids love to have this murukku, also they finish it within 2 to 3 days.
Usually preparing murukku is a big process, like soaking the raw rice, then drying it and later grinding to powder. But here in this recipe, nothing like that is needed and was prepared in minutes. My kids loved it a lot.
It was delicious, soft and crunchy with wonderful flavor and attractive color. I prepared this for Krishna Jayanthi/Gokulastami. Let us move on to the recipe…
CLICK HERE for more Krishna Jayanthi recipes.
Check out my other snacks recipe in this link: https://madraasi.com/recipes/snacks/
- Rice Flour – 2 cups
- Rava/Semolina/Sooji (unroasted) – 1 cup
- Water – 2 ½ cups
- Butter – Lemon sized
- Cumin seeds – 1 tsp
- Sesame seeds – ½ tsp
- Hing – a pinch
- Chili powder – 1 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Oil for frying
- Boil 2 cups of water in a non-stick kadhai, add in the rava little by little along with little salt and keep on stirring until it gets cooked and thicken (it should come to rolling consistency). Keep on stirring continuously so that lumps are formed.
- In a wide mouth bowl, take rice flour, butter, cumin seeds, sesame seeds, hing, chili powder, little salt and mix them all together.
- Add in the cooked rava/semolina to the flour and mix them well by sprinkling little water.
- Knead it a medium soft dough.
- Heat oil in kadhai, and now grease the murukku mould with oil and assemble all the parts.
- Divide the kneaded dough into small portions, press the dough to the hot oil (should do only when the oil is hot).
- Wait for few mins, till you hear ooze sound, then swap the side of the muruku and wait until it turns golden brown.
- Remove the murukku, drain the oil, and leave it aside for 5 mins.
- Store it in an airtight container when it reaches room temperature.
Note: It remains fresh for a week, when stored in an air-tight container, only after it comes to room temperature. If you store the murukku’s in an air-tight container before it comes to room temoaerature, it would becom soggy.