Sheera is a Marathi word for Halwa. Sheera is a must to have dish during festivals in North India. It is a rich dessert that is prepared by cooking sooji and banana along with toasted nuts and ghee / clarified butter. Banana sheera can be prepared by using both milk or water.
I have infused coconut palm sugar instead of sugar, which gives more flavor and being a best natural sweetener. I have used Coconut Palm Sugar (mingles with A Quartet of Brown spices) from sprig, CLICK HERE for the product. Coconut Palm Sugar from sprig gives good flavor with beautiful color to the dish and delicious taste.
Also, I have infused more banana for the perfect halwa texture and taste of banana. You can use variant of banana, but use only the ripen once. Let me share the recipe…
CLICK HERE for more Dessert recipes and CLICK HERE for more Diwali sweets recipe.
- Banana – 3 nos
- Rava / Sooji / Semolina – 1 cup (1 cup=160 ml)
- Water – 3 cups
- Coconut palm sugar – ½ cup
- Cardamom – 3 nos
- Ghee / Clarified butter – 5 tbsp
- Cashew nuts – 10 nos
- Almonds / Badam – 10 nos
- Saffron – few strands
- Thinly slice cashew nuts and almonds/badam, keep it aside.
- Peel the banana’s and mash them well as no lumps are left.
- Heat ½ tsp of ghee/clarified butter in a kadai, add rava/semolina and toast it until it turns turn golden brown in color.
- Transfer it to plate, spread it well and let it rest until it reaches room temperature.
- Pour 1 ½ tbsp of ghee/clarified butter in a kadai, add thinly sliced cashew nuts and almonds, roast it until it turns golden brown in color.
- Pour 3 cups of water in a kadai/long bottomed vessel, wait until it boils.
- Once it starts boiling, add the roasted rava/sooji little by little and stir it well, make sure no lumps are formed.
- Wait until gets cooked well, add the mashed banana mix it well.
- Pour a tbsp of ghee/clairifed butter, mix it well.
- Cook in low flame for almost 10 mins, pour in the leftover ghee/clarified butter along with the roasted nuts.
- Mix it well and stir it, until it reaches rolling consistency and remove it from fire, once the ghee/clarified butter starts oozing out.
- Sprinkle saffron strands, give a mix and transfer it to a bowl.