Already I have posted a recipe for Venn Pongal and now it’s time to thing something innovative with this Venn pongal, so I have induced Thinaiarisi / Foxtail millet instead of rawrice. The taste was good with the same aroma, but the texture was something different (good) from our traditional and authentic Venn Pongal. This Foxtail millet is commonly known as quinao.
- Thinai arisi / Foxtail millet / Quinoa – 1 cup
- Moong dal – ½ cup
- Cumin seeds – 1 tsp
- Black peppercorns – 1 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Ghee / Clarified Butter – 1 ½ tbsp
- Curry leaves – a string
- Clean and wash the Thinai arisi / Foxtail millet. Drain it and keep aside.
- Take 4 cups of water in heavy bottomed vessel, allow it to boil.
- Heat ghee in a kadai, fry the mung dal till the raw smell goes off.
- Boil the moong dal in water, it should be in mashing consistency.
- Once boiled, add in the Thinai arisi / Foxtail millet. Wait till it halfboil.
- Once halfboiled, add in the moong dal. Allow it boil together.
- Heat ghee in a tadka, add in the cumin seeds, peppercorns and curry leaves. Wait till they crackle.
- Add them to the millet and continue boiling in medium flame.
- Transfer them to a bowl , once boiled.
Serve hot with Sambhar and Chutney.