Sweet somas or Karanji is a most famous during Vinayakar Chaturthi and Diwali festival among all Indian families. Somas is a deep fried sweet snack with filling, filling can be made with different types. I have used roasted gram, coconut and cardamom for filling.
It is also known as somasi in Tamil and Kajjikayali in Telugu and Karanji in Maharashtra because of the filling. Let me share the recipe…
Making of Somas / Karanji –
- Maida / All-purpose flour – 1 ½ cups
- Rava / Semolina / Sooji – ¼ cup
- Water – ½ cup
- Salt – ½ tsp
- Ghee / Clarified butter – 1 ½ tsp
- Roasted gram / Pottukadalai / Porikadalai – ½ cup
- Grated coconut – ½ cup
- Sugar – ½ cup
- Cashew nuts (broken into smalle pieces) – ¼ cup
- Cardamom powder – ½ tsp
- Oil – 1 cup (for deep frying)
- Take a bowl, add maida/all-purpose flour, rava/semolina, salt, mix it well. Pour water little by little and start kneading the dough to stiff consistency.
- Drizzle a tsp of oil over the kneaded dough, knead for few seconds and cover it with a damp cloth.
- Meanwhile, dry roast the roasted gram, remove from fire and spread it over a plate.
- Add ¼ tsp of ghee and roast the grated coconut, until they turn brown in color, spread it along with roasted gram.
- Add the leftover ghee and roast the cashew nuts until they turn golden brown in color. Remove it from fire and transfer it to a bowl.
- Grind the sugar to fine powder, transfer it to a bowl
- Grind roasted gram, roasted coconut to a fine powder and add it to the sugar.
- Also add cardamom powder and roasted cashew nuts along with ghee to the mixture and mix it well.
- Take a small portion of the dough and flattened it to a circle shape, keep a tea spoon full of filling in the center of the flattened dough.
- Dip your finger in water, apply it along the edges of the dough, now fold it to a half circle, then give a gentle press with fork along the sides.
- Heat oil in a kadai, gently add them one by one and fry until they turn golden brown on both sides.
- Drain the oil and remove it from fire.
- Serve once it reaches room temperature.
Store in an air-tight container once it reaches room temperature, so that it stays fresh for a week .