Zarda Pulav or Sweet Rice is prepared as a dessert most commonly during Ramzan and at times of Holi. This is most commonly prepared as a dessert in north Muslim weddings, also called as a Meeti Chawal, as it is sweet.
Zarda Pulao is very simple and easy to prepare, and a richest dessert whereas is flavored with cardamom, saffron, flavored spices and consists of dry fruits like cashew nuts, kalonji, badam/almonds and raisins.
Zarda Pulao / Zarda Rice / How to make Zarda Rice
Due to the beautiful color and wonderful aroma thought of preparing it for Holi. Let me share the recipe…
- Basmathi rice – 1 cup
- Sugar – 1 cup
- Saffron strands – 10 to 15 strands
- Desiccated coconut or slices of dry coconut – ½ cup
- Ghee/Clarified butter – ½ cup
- Salt to taste
- Bay leaf – 1 no
- Cinnamon (1”inch stick) – 1 pieces
- Cloves – 4 nos
- Cardamom – 3 nos
- Cashew nuts – 20 nos
- Raisins – 15 nos
- Chironji – 1 tbsp
Making of Zarda Pulao / Zarda rice –
- Soak saffron strands in ¼ cup of warm water and keep it aside.
- Blanch the almonds/badam and slice them to pieces.
- Heat 3 cups of water in a heavy bottomed vessel, add cloves, cinnamon, bay leaf and cardamom to it, wait until it boils.
- Add the rice to the boiling water and cook for almost 90%.
- Drain the water from the rice and keep it aside.
- Heat ghee/clarified butter in a kadai, add the cashew nuts, chironji, almonds and cook until they start turning golden brown in color.
- Add the raisins, desiccated coconut and cook until they double in size, make sure they don’t get burnt.
- Add the sugar and cook until the sugar melts.
- Pour in the saffron water and mix it well (make sure no lumps are formed).
- Add the rice once the sugar gets melted, stir it well so that the sugar syrup will coat the rice.
- Cover the vessel with a lid, keep in low flame and cook for 10 to 15 mins.
- After 15 mins, remove the lid from the vessel, stir it gently with a ladle.
Nuts getting roasted in Ghee/Clarified butter
Rice steamed with flavored spices
With desiccated coconut
Sugar getting melted
With saffron water
Rice after 10 mins of low flame cooking
Zarda Pulao / Zarda Rice / How to make Zarda Rice
Serve hot. Garnish with roasted nuts.
When it comes to crumble, I go crazy, as I like them to the core. But I have prepared and tasted only apple crumble till now, but as strawberries are now in season, thought of preparing strawberry crumble. I never ever imagined that strawberry crumble would be this divine, my kids loved it to the core.
Click here for Apple Crumble recipe and Click here for Dessert Recipes.
Strawberry Crumble is and easy, simple, delicious and heavenly recipe that all the strawberry lovers would go crazy for this. Also, the wonderful aroma, attractive color and little tanginess with mild sweetness makes me drool even now. Do not miss, give a try immediately as strawberries are seasonal fruit, else you have to wait for the next year. Let me share the recipe…
- Strawberry – 15 nos
- Maida / All-purpose flour – 1 cup
- Butter (room temperature) – ½ cup + 1 tbsp
- Sugar – ½ cup + 3 tbsps
- Cinnamon powder – ½ tsp
- Salt – a pinch
Making of Strawberry Crumble –
- Clean and thinly slice the strawberries.
- Take a mixing bowl, add maida/all-purpose flour, ¾ cup of butter, cinnamon powder, ½ cup of sugar and a pinch of salt.
- Mix it all together, and crumble well with your hands (check the video).
- Meanwhile preheat the microwave to 180-degree C.
- Transfer the crumbled flour to a baking tray and bake in microwave for 180-degree C for 8 to 9 mins or until turns golden brown in color (watch close, else it would be burnt easily).
- Now, heat a heavy bottomed vessel, add the strawberries followed by a tbsp. of butter and 3 tbsps of sugar, mix it well and cook until the sugar dissolves and strawberries become soft.
- Remove it from fire and transfer it to another bowl.
- Remove the crumble from the microwave once they are baked.
- Now take a small pie or tart tray, drop in 2 or 3 tbsps of cooked strawberries along with the syrup and then top it with 2 t 3 tbsps of baked crumble.
- Bake for another 5 mins at 180-degree C
- Remove it from the microwave, let it come to room temperature.
I use to prepare oats frequently at home for breakfast, but recently I have never tried anything new or not even a usual brekkie with oats. And so got to find it in a large quantity in stock at home, due to some health issues I want to make my move towards oats. But apart from everything thought of making something innovative, there strike my ice-cream mania. Moreover this ice cream is completely different from other ice-cream, as I have added eggs. May be we can call it a non-veg or egg dish, but I am sure, not a vegetarian ice-cream.
Oats Ice Cream is very easy, simple, healthy, heavenly dessert. Let me share the recipe…
Taking this to Fiesta Friday #123 hosted by Angie@thenovicegarderner.
Oats Ice Cream
- Oats – ¾ cup
- Brown Sugar – 1/3 cup + 4tbsp
- Full fat milk – 1 cup
- Heavy cream – 2 cups
- Egg Yolks – 3 nos
- Cinnamon powder – ¼ tsp
- Granulated sugar – ½ cup
- Vanilla extract – 1 tsp
- Salt a pinch
Oats getting dry roasted with Brown sugar
Getting caramalised (smoked)
Fresh cream beaten with brown sugar
Fresh cream mixture
Beaten egg yolks
Warm milk with egg mixture
Milk getting mixed with egg
Egg mixture getting thicken (Custard)
About to chill in refrigerator
After chilling (looks like custard)
Getting blended with some more oats crumbles
About to refrigerate
Oats Ice Cream
- For Oats Crumble – Dry roast oats in non-stick pan until it starts turning golden brown. Add in 3 tbsp of brown sugar and stir it well. Let the sugar get caramalised and get burnt. Remove it from fire, when it starts burning. Leave it aside and wait until it comes to room temperature. Take out the oats crumble in a blender and blend it well to a coarse powder. Keep it aside.
- Warm the milk in a heavy bottomed kadai, add in the sugar, and stir well until the sugar dissolves.
- Take heavy cream, brown sugar and cinnamon powder in a bowl, whisk them all together. Keep it aside.
- In a separate bowl, whisk all the egg yolks together, pour in the warm milk to the egg mixture, mix it well. Transfer this mixture to a sauce pan, keep on stirring until it thickens and the raw smell of egg goes off.
- Remove it from fire, pour in the vanilla essence and whisk gently, be sure no lumps should be formed. Keep it aside and wait until it reaches the room temperature.
- Pour the egg mixture to the milk mixture, mix it well. Add in ¾ the portion of the oats crumble and mix them well.
- Transfer it an air-tight container and chill it in refrigerator for almost 6 hrs or overnight.
- Remove the container and pour the mixture to the blender and blend it in minimum speed, sprinkle ½ the portion of the leftover oats crumble, transfer it to an air-tight container and freeze it for 6 hrs or until it freezes.
Served chilled with Oats crumble on the top.
Do check out my mint ice cream recipe and raw mango green chilli ice cream. For my other summer recipes, click here.