Karuppatti Mittai is one of the most famous and authentic sweet in Thoothukudi District (thoothukudi, kovilpatti and sathur). It’s my favorite from childhood, since it resembles the shape of ladder, I use to call it “Yeannipadi Mittai (ladder candy)”. It has been years, I had this sweet, so when I thought of preparing sweets for Diwali this was on my list when I got the recipe.
As I have heard it would be difficult in the making, thought atleast if reach some 75% to the exact taste I would be happy. But it was a wonder when it was perfect, my kids liked it to the core. Also it was vanished in minutes. So hereafter I would say Karuppati Mittai will be prepared very often by me. Let me share the recipe…
CLICK HERE for more Diwali sweets and savories and CLICK HERE for more dessert recipe and CLICK HERE for more snacks recipe.
Karupatti Mittai / PalmJaggery Candy
Karupatti Mittai / PalmJaggery Candy
- Raw rice / Pacharisi – ¾ cup
- White Lentil / Urad dal / Ulundam paruppu – ¼ cup
- Karuppatti / Palm Jaggery – 300 gm
- Dry ginger (sukku) powder – ¾ tsp
- Cardamom powder – ½ tsp
- Oil for deep frying
Making of Karuppatti Mittai / Palm Jaggery Candy –
- Soak the raw rice and white lentil separately in water for overnight. Drain the water, grind it to a fine paste by sprinkling water. Transfer it to a bowl and let it rest for 15 to 30 mins,
- Meanwhile, prepare palm jaggery syrup – Crush the palm jaggery, add it to a heavy bottomed vessel, pour a cup of water, cook in medium flame and stir until it dissolves.
- Once dissolves, strain the impurities and again cook in medium flame with dry ginger powder and cardamom powder until it reaches syrup consistency.
- Meanwhile oil in a kadai, take a plastic sheet or milk packet, clean it well and make a small hole at the bottom of the packet.
- Fill it with the batter, and start piping it to the oil, when it’s hot.
- Turn the side and cook on both sides, do not over-cook them.
- Remove it from fire and drop it to the palm jaggery syrup, give a gently press, so that it would get soaked well in the syrup.
- Remove it from the syrup, wait until it comes to room temperature.
Stays fresh for 3 days in room temperature.
Dates is one among the delicious and healthy halwa, but takes almost an hour to prepare. Compared to the health benefits, I would say its worth in making. Since the dates are sweet by nature, I have added less quantity of sugar but please be generous in Ghee/Clarified butter. Let me share the recipe…
CLICK HERE for more Diwali recipes and CLICK HERE for more dessert recipes.
- Dates (seedless) – ¼ kg
- Sugar – 4 tbsp
- Cashew nuts – 15 nos
- Almonds / Badam – 10 nos
- Ghee / Clarified butter – 1 ½ cups (1 cup = 160 ml)
- Cardamom Powder – ½ tsp
Making of Dates Halwa / Perichampala Halwa –
- Use seedless dates, else remove the seeds off the dates. Break the cashew nuts into small pieces, blanch and chop the almonds/badams to small pieces.
- Soak the dates in a cup hot water for almost 30 mins, it would become soft, if not once heat the water with dates and let it rest for 20 mins or until it becomes soft.
- Grind the dates along with the water to a fine paste.
- Grease a tray with ghee/clarified butter and keep it aside.
- Heat a tbsp of ghee in a small vessel, add the chopped cashew nuts and almonds/badam and cook until they start turning golden brown in color.
- Heat a heavy bottomed vessel or a non-stick vessel, pour the ground dates mixture.
- Add the sugar, stir well until the sugar gets dissolved.
- Keep on stirring until the dates sugar mixture becomes little thick. Cook in medium flame.
- When it starts getting thicken, start drizzling ghee/clarified butter (two tsps. at a time) all over the corners.
- Keep on stirring, don’t leave stirring may be you can stir slowly.
- Meanwhile pour the roasted nuts along with ghee followed by cardamom powder and stir well.
- Keep on drizzling ghee/clarified butter at regular intervals, whenever the dates paste absorb the ghee/clarified butter.
- At one stage the dates would start oozing out the ghee/clarified butter, it means the Dates Halwa is ready.
- Transfer the halwa to the greased tray, wait until it reaches room temperature, and cut them to your desired shape.
Serve. Dates Halwa stays fresh for a week in room temperature, when stored in an air-tight container.
Corn Flour Halwa is a very easy, simple and ready in minute’s halwa, compared to all the other halwa’s. Corn Halwa is prepared in many color by adding food color, like green, yellow, orange or red. Corn Flour Halwa has a glassy appearance, which melts in mouth with delicious taste and little crunchiness of Cashew nuts induced in the halwa. Let me share the recipe…
Taking it to Fiesta Friday #140 hosted by Angie@thenovicegarderner.
For more Diwali / Deepavali recipes, CLICK HERE and for more Dessert recipes, CLICK HERE.
Corn Flour Halwa / Bombay Halwa / Karachi Halwa
- Corn Flour – 1 cup
- Sugar – 1 ½ cup
- Water – 1 cup + 1 ½ cups
- Ghee / Clarified butter – 2 tbsp
- Cardamom powder – ½ tsp
- Cashew nuts – 15 nos (broken into pieces)
- Food Color (red) – ¼ tsp
Making of Corn Flour Halwa / Bombay Halwa / Karachi Halwa –
- Take corn flour and food color in a wide mouth bowl, pour 1 ½ cups of water, mix well, so that the corn flour dissolves well in water and make sure no lumps are formed.
- Meanwhile, take sugar in a heavy bottom pan or kadai, pour 1 cup of water, and mix well until the sugar dissolved.
- Cook in medium flame, until it thickens (not sugar syrup consistency, before reaching sugar syrup consistency).
- Pour the corn flour water, keep on stirring otherwise lumps would be formed.
- Cook in medium flame, meanwhile heat ghee/clarified butter in a kadai, add the cashew nuts and fry them until they turn golden brown in color.
- Pour the roasted cashew nuts and ghee to the corn flour, mix well, until it comes to the halwa consistency.
- Grease a tray with a tsp of ghee/clarified butter and transfer the halwa to the tray, spread it evenly with the backside of the spoon, sprinkle cardamom powder and let it rest for 10 mins.
- Now gently slice the halwa into equal shapes.
Serve hot or at room temperature.