Broccoli Paneer Rice is a healthy, delicious, one pot meal that can be made in minutes and so this would go perfect for lunch box. Usually I have seen most of the people saying no to Broccoli, but when it comes to the health benefits it has loads in it. And so, thought of infusing broccoli with rice as a main ingredient and paneer which my kids like to the core as a secondary ingredient. I was little worried when I prepared this rice, as I gave a try directly for my kid’s lunch box, and I prepared little steamed rice too, so that I can use it as a backup if this Broccoli Paneer rice doesn’t work. But the rice was yum and unimaginable.
I have induced coconut oil, you can substitute it with ghee/clarified butter or any cooking oil.
CLICK HERE for variety rice recipes.
Taking this to Fiesta Friday #156 hosted by Angie@thenovicegarderner.
Health Benefits of Broccoli: Broccoli is well known for preventing cancer, it reduces cholesterol as it is packed with soluble fiber, it helps in bone health, good for heart health, also it helps in digestion and prevents constipation.
Let me share the recipe…
Broccoli Paneer Rice
- Broccoli – 1 no (medium size)
- Paneer – 150 gm
- Basmati / Long Grain Rice – 2 cups
- Coriander leaves – a fistful
- Mint leaves – a fistful
- Green chilli – 2 nos
- Garlic – 5 cloves
- Cloves – 3 nos
- Cinnamon – 1 stick
- Star Anise – 1 no
- Coconut milk – 2 cups
- Chilli powder – ¾ tsp
- Coriander powder – 2 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Coconut oil – 1 ½ tbsp.
Making of Broccoli Paneer rice –
- Wash and separate the florets of broccoli (medium size).
- Cube the paneer to medium size pieces.
- Grind coriander leaves, mint leaves, green chillies and garlic to a fine paste by adding little water.
- Heat oil in a pressure-cooker or heavy bottomed vessel, add the cloves, cinnamon and star anise, wait until they crackle.
- Add the broccoli followed by chilli powder and coriander powder, cook for few mins.
- Pour the ground mixture (coriander leaves, mint leaves, green chillies and garlic paste) and cook for few mins or until the raw smell goes off.
- Add the cleaned rice, followed by salt and cook for few mins.
- Pour the coconut milk and water (in equal proportion), pressure-cook for 3 whistles or if using a heavy bottomed vessel, cover and cook until the rice is cooked.
- Meanwhile heat a tsp of oil in pan, add the paneer pieces and cook them on both sides until they turn golden brown in color.
- Remove the lid when the pressure releases, give a gentile stir and add the roasted paneer, give a gentle stir and serve.
Serve hot with raita and any deep fry. I have accompanied it with Potato chips.
Usually when it comes to spinach, it would be a great challenge for me to make my kids consume it. So I do combine the spinach with rice with spices too enhance the taste and flavor of the rice. Already have updated on such recipe – Spinach Rice, which I have roasted the spices and grounded the masala to enhance the flavor.
This Corn and Spinach rice is very easy, simple, delicious, and healthy and takes just 5 to 10 minutes to prepare. A best lunch box recipe, also I have been sharing my daily lunch box in instagram – do follow and stay connected with our instastories. Also this requires very few ingredients that are available in all the kitchens. Let me share the recipe…
Corn and Spinach Rice
CLICK HERE for more Vegetarian Variety rice recipe
- Sweet Corn – ¼ cup
- Spinach – ½ cup
- Rice – 1 cup
- Garlic – 3 cloves
- Cumin powder – 1 tsp
- Black pepper powder – ½ tsp
- Green chilli – 1 no
- Flavored spices (Cinnamon – 1, Cloves – 3 nos, Star Anise – 1 no, Bay leaf – 1 no)
- Salt to taste
- Olive oil or Coconut oil – 2 tsp
Onions, garlic and green chillies getting cooked along with flavored spices
With spinach and corn
with black pepper powder, cumin powder and salt
Corn and Spinach Rice
- Clean and separate the spinach from the stalk and roughly chop them to small pieces.
- Peel and finely chop the onions and garlic to small pieces. Slit the green chilli to equal halves.
- Heat oil in the pressure cooker, pour the oil, add the flavored spices and wait until they splutter.
- Add the finely chopped onions and garlic, cook in medium flame for few mins or until they trun golden brown in color.
- Add the green chilli, corn and spinach, followed by salt, cumin powder, black pepper powder and cook for few mins or until the spinach shrinks in size.
- Add the rice and pour water, cook until the rice is steamed, if you are using pressure cooker, pressure cook for 3 whistles.
- Transfer the rice to a bowl.
Serve hot with any veg or non-veg gravy along with pappad/appalam.
Note: If you are using frozen corn you can use it directly, else steam the corn, separate the corn kernels from the corn and use them.
Beetroot Rice is one such delicious, colorful, flavorful and healthiest variety rice, which can be prepared in minutes when you have steamed rice in your hands. Because of its color and taste, I am sure that it would be the best and very big hit among kids. An easy and simple way to make kids consume beetroot. As beetroot is packed with loads of nutrients and helps in lower blood pressure, boost your stamina, beetroot juice helps in maintaining the hemoglobin level. Let us move on to the recipe…
For more vegetarian variety rice recipe – CLICK HERE.
Taking it to Fiesta Friday #135 hosted by Angie@thenovicegarderner.
- Grated Beetroot – 1 cup
- Steamed Rice – 2 cups
- Onion – 1 no (medium sized)
- Green chillies – 2 nos
- Mustard seeds – ¼ tsp
- Split Black gram – ½ tsp
- Split Bengal gram / Channa dal – 2 tsp
- Asafoetida – ½ tsp
- Turmeric powder – ¼ tsp
- Curry leaves – a sprig
- Salt to taste
- Oil – 2 tsp
Making of Beetroot Rice –
- Peel and thinly slice (lengthwise) the onion, keep it aside.
- Slit the green chillies into two equal halves.
- Heat oil in a kadai, add mustard, split black gram, split Bengal gram and curry leaves, wait until they crackle.
- Add in the onions and green chillies, cook until the onions turn golden brown.
- Add in the grated beetroot, turmeric powder, salt and asafetida, cook until the raw smell goes off and the beetroot is completely cooked.
- Add in the steamed rice, stir well with the beetroot and cook for 2 mins or until the rice gets blend well with the beetroot.
- Remove from fire, transfer it to a bowl.
Serve hot with chips or pappad or rice crackers. I have accompanied it with Arbi Fry / Colocaesia Fry / Chepang kilangu fry.