This Soya chunks briyani is a tasty, nutritious and a complete meal. Soyal chunks also known as meal maker. It is also said to lower cholestrol levels, blood pressure and aids in weight loss. It has protein content equal to meat. It is quick and also easy to cook. One more wonderful, easy and a simple vegetarian biryani to my biryani collections.
Check out my biryani collections by clicking this link: https://madraasi.com/2015/07/17/biryani/
- Long grained (Basmathi) rice – 2 cups
- Soya chunks – 1 cup
- Bay leaf – 1 no
- Cloves – 3 nos
- Cardamom – 2 nos
- Cinnamon – 1” inch stick
- Ghee – 2 tsp
- Oil – 2 tsp
- Cumin seeds – ¼ tsp
- Onions – 2 nos
- Tomato – 1 no
- Turmeric powder – ¼ tsp
- Coriander powder – 1 tsp
- Garam masala – 1 tsp
- Garlic – 5 Cloves
- Red chillies – 4 nos
- Clean and wash the rice and soak it for 15 mins. Drain and keep it aside.
- Soak the soya nuggets in warm water and salt for 20 mins. Drain and squeeze the water.
- Chop the soya chunks to medium pieces, I have used small soya chunks and I did not chop it.
- Finely chop the onions and tomatoes.
- Heat oil in a pressure cooker and add cumin seeds, cinnamon, cloves, bay leaf and cardamom.
- Dry roast garlic and red chillies and grind them to a fine paste, by adding little water.
- When the cumin seeds crackle, add the chopped coriander and mint leaves, cook until they turn dark green in color.
- Add the onions and cook until they are golden brown.
- Add the tomatoes and cook until they are mushy.
- Add turmeric powder, garam masala, coriander powder along with the grounded chili paste and cook until the raw smell goes off and the oil separates.
- Add the soya chunks along with salt and cook for few mins.
- Add in the rice along with water in the ratio (2:1), let it boil, along with a tsp of lemon juice.
- Pressure-cook for 3 whistles and remove the lid, when the pressure subsides.
Serve hot with raita. Goes out well with Appalam, Raita and Pickle.