Sheera is a Marathi word for Halwa. Sheera is a must to have dish during festivals in North India. It is a rich dessert that is prepared by cooking sooji and banana along with toasted nuts and ghee / clarified butter. Banana sheera can be prepared by using both milk or water.
I have infused coconut palm sugar instead of sugar, which gives more flavor and being a best natural sweetener. I have used Coconut Palm Sugar (mingles with A Quartet of Brown spices) from sprig, CLICK HERE for the product. Coconut Palm Sugar from sprig gives good flavor with beautiful color to the dish and delicious taste.
Also, I have infused more banana for the perfect halwa texture and taste of banana. You can use variant of banana, but use only the ripen once. Let me share the recipe…
- Banana – 3 nos
- Rava / Sooji / Semolina – 1 cup (1 cup=160 ml)
- Water – 3 cups
- Coconut palm sugar – ½ cup
- Cardamom – 3 nos
- Ghee / Clarified butter – 5 tbsp
- Cashew nuts – 10 nos
- Almonds / Badam – 10 nos
- Saffron – few strands
- Thinly slice cashew nuts and almonds/badam, keep it aside.
- Peel the banana’s and mash them well as no lumps are left.
- Heat ½ tsp of ghee/clarified butter in a kadai, add rava/semolina and toast it until it turns turn golden brown in color.
- Transfer it to plate, spread it well and let it rest until it reaches room temperature.
- Pour 1 ½ tbsp of ghee/clarified butter in a kadai, add thinly sliced cashew nuts and almonds, roast it until it turns golden brown in color.
- Pour 3 cups of water in a kadai/long bottomed vessel, wait until it boils.
- Once it starts boiling, add the roasted rava/sooji little by little and stir it well, make sure no lumps are formed.
- Wait until gets cooked well, add the mashed banana mix it well.
- Pour a tbsp of ghee/clairifed butter, mix it well.
- Cook in low flame for almost 10 mins, pour in the leftover ghee/clarified butter along with the roasted nuts.
- Mix it well and stir it, until it reaches rolling consistency and remove it from fire, once the ghee/clarified butter starts oozing out.
- Sprinkle saffron strands, give a mix and transfer it to a bowl.