My love for Appam and Idiyappam (Stringhopper) never ends, these dishes tastes heavenly when served with Stew – Chicken Stew, Vegetable Stew, Coconut milk and Lamb Paya (leg curry). Mostly I prefer with chicken stew or lamb paya, but when a vegetarian comes to home, definitely no way, have to proceed with vegetarian curry and so decided to prepare Veg Stew accompanied with appam.
I never expected that Veg stew would be as equal to that of chicken stew, liked the flavors, color and texture of it. A best recommend for kids from my side, as this dish has no oil and it’s good for a year old babies. Let me share the recipe…
Vegetable Stew with Appam (Hoppers)
- Onions – 1 no
- Carrot – 1 no
- Cauliflower – florets (a cup)
- French Beans – 6 nos
- Green peas – a handful
- Garlic – 5 cloves
- Cumin powder – ½ tsp
- Ginger paste – 2 tsp
- Green chillies – 1 nos
- Cinnamon – 1 no (1 inch stick)
- Cardamom – 2 nos
- Cloves – 2 nos
- Star Anise – 2 nos
- Coconut milk (thick) – 3 cups
- Salt to taste
- Cashew nuts – 6 nos
- Coconut Oil – 1 ½ tbsp
- Peel and finely chop the onions and garlic, keep it aside.
- Peel and chop the carrots and French beans (lengthwise) and keep it aside.
- Separate the cauliflower florets into medium size.
- Halve (lengthwise) the green chillies into two pieces. Blend the cashew nuts along with ¼ cup of water to a fine paste and keep it aside.
- Heat the coconut oil in a heavy bottomed kadai, add in the cinnamon, cloves, cardamom, star anise and cook for few mins.
- Add in the onions and garlic, cook until they turn golden brown.
- Add in the ginger paste and green chillies, cook for few mins until the raw smell goes off.
- Add in the vegetables along with the cumin powder and salt, cook for few mins or until the vegetables turn their color.
- Pour in the coconut milk along with a cup of water, cover with the lid and allow it boil.
- Pour in the cashew paste once the vegetables are cooked, cook in medium flame, until the gravy thickens and the oil floats on the top.
Serve hot with Appam (Hoppers), Egg Appam (Egg Hoppers) or Idiyappam (String Hoppers).
For my other breakfast and dinner recipes, click here.
When the weather gets cold, we all feel to have some comfort and soupy food and this resulted me in the making of this chicken stew. You could also follow the same recipe with vegetables for vegetable stew. The chicken stew is an bright aromatic, a rich stock and long-cooked savory chicken. Also this recipe, is good for sore throat, cold and cough because of the pepper in it. This chicken stew goes out well with appam (Hoppers) and Idiyappam (String hoppers). I have served this with appam and egg appam. Let us move on to the recipe…
- Chicken – ½ kg
- Onions – 3 nos(medium sized)
- Garlic – 7 cloves
- Ginger – 2 “inch stick
- Green chillies – 2 nos
- Fennel / Sombu seeds – 1 tsp
- Cardamom – 2 nos
- Cloves – 4 nos
- Cinnamon – 2” inch stick
- Star Anise – 1 no
- Curry leaves – a string
- Potato – 2 nos(medium sized)
- Cumin powder – 2 tsp
- Pepper powder – 1 tsp
- Coconut oil – 1 tbsp
- Coconut milk – 2 cup (thick)
- Cashew nuts – 8 nos
- Salt to taste
Spices getting sauted
Onions getting sauted
With coconut milk
With cashew paste
- Finely chop the onions. Slit the green chilies and crush the ginger, garlic in a mortar. Peel and cube the potatoes.
- Soak cashew nuts in water for 10 mins and grind them to a fine paste by adding little water.
- Clean and cut the chicken into medium pieces.
- Heat oil in a kadai. Add fennel seeds, cardamom, cinnamon, cloves, star anise and curry leaves. Wait till they crackle.
- Add in the crushed ginger, garlic and onions. Fry till the onions become transparent.
- Add the potatoes and fry them for few mins.
- Add the chicken, cumin powder, salt and fry till they are half cooked.
- Pour in the coconut milk with a cup of water and allow them to boil.
- Cover with the lid and cook until the chicken and potatoes are cooked.
- Remove the cover and pour in the cashew paste and allow it to boil, till the raw smell goes off and it blends with the gravy.
- Cook in medium flame and wait till the gravy thickens.
- Transfer it to a bowl, when the gravy thickens.
Serve hot with appam.
Note: Be careful, when frying onions it should turn transparent and should not be browned. Since it could result in the change of the colour.