Ellu urundai / Sesame Balls is one among the must to prepare during Vinayagar Chaturthi in all south Indian families. Already I have shared a version of Ellu Urundai or sesame balls – which as soft and melt in mouth version and now the other version which is crunchy and chewy. Also, do check out our video – which has both versions of Ellu Urundai together as a special of Vinayagar Chaturthi. Also it is known as Chimli urundai.
CLICK HERE for more Vinayagar Chaturthi recipes and CLICK HERE for more Diwali/Deepavali recipes.
Taking this to Fiesta Friday#185 hosted by Angie@thenovicegarderner.
Ellu urundai or Sesame laddo is the combination of both ellu /sesame and jaggery. Ellu urundai / Sesame balls has more health benefits as they lower cholesterol level, protect heart health, improves blood pressure, balances hormones, burns fat and so on. And so, they can be consumed anytime as it takes just 5 mins to prepare. Also, this can be prepared in bulks and store in an air-tight container, as it stays fresh for a week. Let me share the recipe…
- Ellu / Black Sesame / Til seeds – 1 cup
- Jaggery – ½ cup
- Water – ¼ cup
- Cardamom powder – ½ tsp
Making of Ellu urundai / Sesame Balls –
- Dry roast sesame / ellu in a heavy bottomed vessel for 2 mins or until it crackles. Roast only in medium flame else the sesame will be burnt and you give a slight bitter taste.
- Remove it from flame and transfer it to a plate, spread it and let it rest until it reaches the room temperature.
- Add jaggery and pour water, bring it boil, make sure it reaches the syrup consistency (once you let a drop of syrup to a bowl of water, it should not dissolve) Check out the consistency in the video as the consistency is very important here.
- Add the sesame seeds to the jaggery syrup, remove it from fire, keep on stirring once in a while for 2 mins or until it thickens and comes to a rolling consistency.
- Now take a small portion of sesame/ellu and roll it to a ball, let it rest for mins or until it reaches room temperature.
- Store it in an air-tight container, and it stays fresh for a week.