Dates is one among the delicious and healthy halwa, but takes almost an hour to prepare. Compared to the health benefits, I would say its worth in making. Since the dates are sweet by nature, I have added less quantity of sugar but please be generous in Ghee/Clarified butter. Let me share the recipe…
CLICK HERE for more Diwali recipes and CLICK HERE for more dessert recipes.
- Dates (seedless) – ¼ kg
- Sugar – 4 tbsp
- Cashew nuts – 15 nos
- Almonds / Badam – 10 nos
- Ghee / Clarified butter – 1 ½ cups (1 cup = 160 ml)
- Cardamom Powder – ½ tsp
Making of Dates Halwa / Perichampala Halwa –
- Use seedless dates, else remove the seeds off the dates. Break the cashew nuts into small pieces, blanch and chop the almonds/badams to small pieces.
- Soak the dates in a cup hot water for almost 30 mins, it would become soft, if not once heat the water with dates and let it rest for 20 mins or until it becomes soft.
- Grind the dates along with the water to a fine paste.
- Grease a tray with ghee/clarified butter and keep it aside.
- Heat a tbsp of ghee in a small vessel, add the chopped cashew nuts and almonds/badam and cook until they start turning golden brown in color.
- Heat a heavy bottomed vessel or a non-stick vessel, pour the ground dates mixture.
- Add the sugar, stir well until the sugar gets dissolved.
- Keep on stirring until the dates sugar mixture becomes little thick. Cook in medium flame.
- When it starts getting thicken, start drizzling ghee/clarified butter (two tsps. at a time) all over the corners.
- Keep on stirring, don’t leave stirring may be you can stir slowly.
- Meanwhile pour the roasted nuts along with ghee followed by cardamom powder and stir well.
- Keep on drizzling ghee/clarified butter at regular intervals, whenever the dates paste absorb the ghee/clarified butter.
- At one stage the dates would start oozing out the ghee/clarified butter, it means the Dates Halwa is ready.
- Transfer the halwa to the greased tray, wait until it reaches room temperature, and cut them to your desired shape.
Serve. Dates Halwa stays fresh for a week in room temperature, when stored in an air-tight container.
This chili chicken gravy is one of my all time favorite; the right word is “My Signature Dish”, which was preparing for almost 10 years. As to saying, “People become crazy towards something they find and never mind about the old ones”, I have almost forget about this dish. Luckily two days, the dish strikes my mind and started preparing that for my kids.
This is one of the simple and easiest gravy, which goes well with Indo-Chinese based food, but I have accompanied this with “Indian Vegetable Risotto”, the combination was super. Let us on to the recipe…
Chili Chicken Gravy
- Chicken – 1 kg
- Onions – 4 nos (medium sized)
- Tomato – 2 nos
- Green chilies – 2 nos
- Chili powder – 2 tsp
- Coriander powder – 1 ½ tsp
- Turmeric power – ½ tsp
- Ginger-garlic paste – 2 tsp
- Curd / Yogurt – 2 tbsp
- Corn flour – 1 tbsp
- Red food colour – ¼ tsp
- Pepper powder – 1 tsp
- Soy sauce – 1 tbsp
- Salt to taste
- Vegetable Oil / Olive oil – 1 tbsp
- Coriander leaves – a fistful
Chicken with spice powder for marination
Chicken with onion-tomato paste for marination
Chicken getting marinated
With onions and green chilies
With cornflour mixture
Chili Chicken Gravy
- Clean and chop the chicken into medium pieces.
- Peel and finely chop half of the onion and then roughly chop the other onions and tomaotes.
- Slit the green chilies into equal halves.
- Take chicken, chili powder, coriander powder, turmeric powder, salt, ginger-garlic paste, yogut/curd, pepper powder, 2 tsp of soy sauce together in a bowl. Mix them well with your hands. Marinate it for 10 mins.
- Grind the roughly chopped onions and tomatoes together to a paste without adding water.
- Pour the grounded paste along with a tsp of oil to the chicken marinate and mix it well. Marinate it for another 20 mins.
- Heat oil in a kadai, add in the onions and green chilies. Cook till the onions become transparent.
- Add in the marinated chicken, cook them for 10 mins and keep them stirring once in a while.
- Pour in ½ cup of water, cover and cook till the chicken is done, keep on stirring once in a while.
- Mix the leftover soysauce with cornflour by adding little water, be sure no lumps should be formed.
- Once when the chicken is done, pour in the soy sauce mixture and keep on stirring continously till it thickens, else the chicken would be burnt.
- Garnish with coriander leaves.
Note: When you need gravy, remove form fire when it comes to gravy form. If you need it to be dry, keep on stirring till the gravy thickens and becomes dry.