Already I have shared a video of making palm jaggery syrup using PalmJaggery from Ekgaon, an online grocery shopping platform where the products are directly from farmers to customers. Palm jaggery was of high quality and liked the texture, fragrance and now again it’s Thinai / Foxtail Millet from them.
Coming to Foxtail Millet / Thinai Arisi, at times when I feel bore to use to rice and shift to millets, so I use to have millets at home on regular basis. When thought of making something with this Thinai, I liked to make a sweet, melting in the mouth due to the monsoon here in Bangalore, India. This resulted me in making my all-time favorite.
Thinai Kesari was too heavenly, that kept melting in mouth. Usually I like the kesari to be in melting consistency, so just like that I have ground the millet to coarse granules and prepared this kesari. Let me share the recipe…
- Thinai Arisi / Foxtail Millet – 1 cup
- Sugar – ¾ cup
- Ghee / Clarified butter – ¼ cup
- Red food colour – ¼ tsp
- Cashew nuts – 10 nos
- Raisins – 5 nos
Making of Thinai Kesari / Foxtail Millet Kesari –
- Grind the Thinai Arisi / Foxtail millet to a coarse powder (for getting mashing consistency) and keep it aside.
- Heat a kadai, add a tsp of ghee/clarified butter, add the coarsely grounded thinai arisi / foxtail millet, fry until they turn golden brown.
- Transfer it to a plate, spread it and bring it to room temperature.
- Heat 6 cups of water in a kadai, cover and bring it to boil.
- Once it starts boiling, add the red color and add the roasted thinai arisi / foxtail millet little by little, cover and cook until the millet is cooked.
- Once it’s cooked, add the sugar, stir until the sugar is dissolved.
- Drizzle a tbsp of ghee/clarified butter and cook for few mins.
- Meanwhile heat the leftover ghee/clarified butter in a kadai, add the cashew nuts, cook until it turns golden brown.
- Add the raisins, along with cashew and cook until it doubles in size.
- Transfer the roasted nuts along with the ghee/clarified butter to the kesari, give a stir.
- Cook for 5 mins in medium flame, remove it from fire and transfer it to a bowl.
Serve hot. Goes out well along with breakfast, lunch, dinner or even it can be served in tea-time.