As I have shared in earlier posts few recipes with prawn head – Prawn head curry, Prawn head Fry and now its prawn head rice. Instead of throwing out the prawn head, you can use them to flavor your rice, which gives you a wonderful flavor and aroma to your rice.
This is very simple and easy to prepare, but clean the prawn head well – CLICK HERE to know how to clean Prawns and Prawns head. This rice goes out well with fish curry or prawn curry. I would say when you prepare prawn curry; instead of throwing out the head you could use them in the rice as Buttery Prawn Head Rice. Let me share the recipe…
CLICK HERE for more seafood recipes.
Buttery Prawn Head Rice
- Prawn head – 150 gm
- Steamed rice – 1 cup
- Black pepper powder – 1 tsp
- Garlic – 7 cloves
- Coriander – 6 stalks
- Butter – 2 tbsp
- Salt to taste
Making of Prawn Head Rice –
- Clean the prawn head – CLICK HERE to know how to clean the prawn head with video.
- Finely chop the garlic cloves, separate the coriander leaves and stalks, finely chop them and keep it separately.
- Heat butter in a kadai, add the garlic pieces, and cook until they turn golden brown.
- Add the coriander stalks and cook them for few seconds.
- Add the prawn head along with little salt and pepper powder. Cook until the prawn head turns red in color.
- Add the steamed rice, add salt if you need for rice else leave it.
- Cook (keep on stirring) for about 3 mins or until it becomes dry.
- Sprinkle the chopped coriander leaves and cook for a min (keep on stirring).
- Remove from fire and transfer it to a bowl.
Serve hot with Prawn curry or Fish curry for lunch.
Prawn 65 is a crispy and soft dish which can be served as starter, snack or as side dish. It is a very simple, easy, delicious dish, which would be the favorite of kids. Let me the recipe…
For more seafood recipes – CLICK HERE
Wow, it’s Friday, I am in partying mood and so taking it to Fiesta Friday #135 hosted by Angie@thenovicegarderner.
Prawn 65 / Prawn Fry
- Prawns – ½ kg
- Chilli powder – 4 tsp
- Besan / Gram flour /chick peas flour – 1 tbsp
- Ginger-garlic paste – 1 tbsp
- Cumin powder – 2 tsp
- Curry leaves – 5 sprigs
- Food colour (red) – ½ tsp (optional)
- Lemon juice – 1 tbsp
- Salt to taste
- Oil for deep frying
Making of Prawn 65 / Prawn Deep Fry –
- Clean the prawns and keep it aside.
- Take a wide mouth bowl, add prawns, chilli powder, besan or gram flour, ginger-garlic paste, cumin powder, and curry leaves and salt.
- Mix them all together with your hands, add the food colour if you need, then lemon juice, mix well with your hands.
- Marinate for 20 mins.
- Heat oil in a kadai, gently drop in the marinated prawns and deep fry them for 2 mins or until they are fried.
I have already shared few chettinad recipes and now this one is completely different as I have prepared with a handy masala, which was prepared by me and stored at home.
As we live a mechanical life, we want everything to be done fast, easy and simple. When it comes to chettinad dish, it sounds good with delicious flavor and wonderful aroma. When it comes to food, there is a specific time of cooking for each and every dish. I thought of preparing the chettinad masala in less time and so prepared Chettinad Masala. Later on prepared this fish curry using the masala, it was yummy, delicious and flavorful. Let us move on to the recipe…
Do check out my other seafood recipes in this link: https://madraasi.com/main-course/non-vegetarian/seafood/ and check out this link for chettinad masala: https://madraasi.com/2016/03/18/chettinad-masala/.
Chettinad Fish Curry
- Sea Bass – ½ kg
- Onions – 2 nos (big)
- Tomato – 2 nos (medium size)
- Garlic – 10 cloves
- Chili powder – 1 tsp
- Turmeric powder – ½ tsp
- Chettinad Masala – 4 tsp
- Tamarind – a lemon size
- Mustard seeds – ¼ tsp
- Cumin seeds – ¼ tsp
- Fenugreek/Vendhayam/Methi seeds – a pinch
- Curry leaves – 2 sprigs
- Salt to taste
- Oil – 2 tbsp
Onions getting cooked
With tomatoes and chettinad masala powder
With tamarind extract, turmeric powder and chili powder
Oil floating on the top
Chettinad Fish Curry
- Clean and slice the fish into pieces, keep it aside.
- Peel and finely chop the onions, garlic and tomato into pieces and keep it aside.
- Heat oil in a kadai, add in the mustard, fenugreek, cumin seeds wait until they crackle.
- Prepare Tamarind extract and keep it aside.
- Add in the curry leaves and wait until they crackle.
- Add in the onions, garlic and cook until they turn golden brown.
- Add in the tomatoes and cook until they turn mushy.
- Add in chili powder, 2 tsp of chettinad masala, salt and turmeric powder, cook until the raw smell goes off.
- Pour in a cup of water along with the tamarind extract, cover and allow it to boil.
- Drop the fish pieces gently one by one, when it’s starts boiling.
- Sprinkle 2 tsp of chettinad masala, salt if needed, cover and cook until the fish is done.
- Remove the lid and keep in medium flame until the curry thickens.
- Now keep in low flame, until the oil floats on the top of the curry.
Serve hot. Goes out well with steamed rice and spinach stir-fry or mashed spinach.