Coming to Egg, my son loves Egg a lot, that to when it comes to boiled egg, he is a big fan for it. So I was hunting for the recipe and later came to know about this recipe through one of my friend who is from Virudhunagar and this egg curry is their (virudhunagar people’s) authentic dish. I have used big onions but they use small onions/shallots for this gravy and this recipe consumes lots of oil.
The taste was delicious and the color of the dish was attractive. Let us move on to the recipe…
- Egg – 6 nos
- Big onions – 3 nos
- Garlic – 6 cloves
- Turmeric powder – ¼ tsp
- Chilli powder – 1 tsp
- Cumin/jeera powder – 2 tsp
- Garam masala – ½ tsp
- Salt to taste
- Oil – 2 tbsp
- Mustard seeds – ¼ tsp
- Split blackgram – ¼ tsp
- Cumin/jeera seeds – ¼ tsp
- Curry leaves – a strand
- Boil the eggs in water with little salt.
- Once the eggs are boiled, drain the water and remove the shells.
- Finely chop onions into small pieces.
- Heat oil in a kadai, add mustard, black gram, cumin and curry leaves. Wait till it crackle.
- Add onions and garlic and cook till they turn golden brown.
- Add all the spice powders along with salt and cook till the raw smell leaves.
- Pour two cups of water, let it boil. Cover and cook till the gravy semi thickens.
- Slit the eggs but do not break them. Add the eggs one by one and cover it with lid.
- Remove the lid after 10 mins, keep in sim and wait till the curry thickens and oil separates and floats on the top of the curry.
Serve hot with steamed rice.
Note: Instead of Big onions, shallots(small onions) can be used. It adds more flavour and taste delicious than the big ones. You can also thicken this dish, since i need it as curry I have removed it at this stage.