When the weather gets cold, we all feel to have some comfort and soupy food and this resulted me in the making of this chicken stew. You could also follow the same recipe with vegetables for vegetable stew. The chicken stew is an bright aromatic, a rich stock and long-cooked savory chicken. Also this recipe, is good for sore throat, cold and cough because of the pepper in it. This chicken stew goes out well with appam (Hoppers) and Idiyappam (String hoppers). I have served this with appam and egg appam. Let us move on to the recipe…
- Chicken – ½ kg
- Onions – 3 nos(medium sized)
- Garlic – 7 cloves
- Ginger – 2 “inch stick
- Green chillies – 2 nos
- Fennel / Sombu seeds – 1 tsp
- Cardamom – 2 nos
- Cloves – 4 nos
- Cinnamon – 2” inch stick
- Star Anise – 1 no
- Curry leaves – a string
- Potato – 2 nos(medium sized)
- Cumin powder – 2 tsp
- Pepper powder – 1 tsp
- Coconut oil – 1 tbsp
- Coconut milk – 2 cup (thick)
- Cashew nuts – 8 nos
- Salt to taste
- Finely chop the onions. Slit the green chilies and crush the ginger, garlic in a mortar. Peel and cube the potatoes.
- Soak cashew nuts in water for 10 mins and grind them to a fine paste by adding little water.
- Clean and cut the chicken into medium pieces.
- Heat oil in a kadai. Add fennel seeds, cardamom, cinnamon, cloves, star anise and curry leaves. Wait till they crackle.
- Add in the crushed ginger, garlic and onions. Fry till the onions become transparent.
- Add the potatoes and fry them for few mins.
- Add the chicken, cumin powder, salt and fry till they are half cooked.
- Pour in the coconut milk with a cup of water and allow them to boil.
- Cover with the lid and cook until the chicken and potatoes are cooked.
- Remove the cover and pour in the cashew paste and allow it to boil, till the raw smell goes off and it blends with the gravy.
- Cook in medium flame and wait till the gravy thickens.
- Transfer it to a bowl, when the gravy thickens.
Serve hot with appam.
Note: Be careful, when frying onions it should turn transparent and should not be browned. Since it could result in the change of the colour.