Sweet somas or Karanji is a most famous during Vinayakar Chaturthi and Diwali festival among all Indian families. Somas is a deep fried sweet snack with filling, filling can be made with different types. I have used roasted gram, coconut and cardamom for filling.
CLICK HERE for vinayagar chaturthi recipes and CLICK HERE for Diwali / Deepavali recipes.
Sweet Somas recipe / somas recipe / Karanji Recipe
It is also known as somasi in Tamil and Kajjikayali in Telugu and Karanji in Maharashtra because of the filling. Let me share the recipe…
Making of Somas / Karanji –
- Maida / All-purpose flour – 1 ½ cups
- Rava / Semolina / Sooji – ¼ cup
- Water – ½ cup
- Salt – ½ tsp
- Ghee / Clarified butter – 1 ½ tsp
- Roasted gram / Pottukadalai / Porikadalai – ½ cup
- Grated coconut – ½ cup
- Sugar – ½ cup
- Cashew nuts (broken into smalle pieces) – ¼ cup
- Cardamom powder – ½ tsp
- Oil – 1 cup (for deep frying)
Maida/App-purpose flour, rava/semolina and salt together
Roasted gram, roasted coconut together
Powdered sugar, roasted ingredients, cardamom powder mixed together
shaped to a circle
with the filling
getting deep fried
- Take a bowl, add maida/all-purpose flour, rava/semolina, salt, mix it well. Pour water little by little and start kneading the dough to stiff consistency.
- Drizzle a tsp of oil over the kneaded dough, knead for few seconds and cover it with a damp cloth.
- Meanwhile, dry roast the roasted gram, remove from fire and spread it over a plate.
- Add ¼ tsp of ghee and roast the grated coconut, until they turn brown in color, spread it along with roasted gram.
- Add the leftover ghee and roast the cashew nuts until they turn golden brown in color. Remove it from fire and transfer it to a bowl.
- Grind the sugar to fine powder, transfer it to a bowl
- Grind roasted gram, roasted coconut to a fine powder and add it to the sugar.
- Also add cardamom powder and roasted cashew nuts along with ghee to the mixture and mix it well.
- Take a small portion of the dough and flattened it to a circle shape, keep a tea spoon full of filling in the center of the flattened dough.
- Dip your finger in water, apply it along the edges of the dough, now fold it to a half circle, then give a gentle press with fork along the sides.
- Heat oil in a kadai, gently add them one by one and fry until they turn golden brown on both sides.
- Drain the oil and remove it from fire.
- Serve once it reaches room temperature.
Store in an air-tight container once it reaches room temperature, so that it stays fresh for a week .
Nachos are a snack food from Mexico, and now been popular among all parts of the world. Nachos are served as starter with a layer beans, veggies, non-veg with a variety of dips. Not only its me but my family like nachos to the core, and this was one long wait to try recipe in my list and finally done today.
Nachos was very easy, simple and consumes very little time to prepare with the combination of Maize flour, maida/apf and salt. No one would say no to this Nachos chips, as this goes out well as munch even with plain coffee or tea. Let me share the recipe…
Nachos Chips / Home-made Nachos Chips
- Maize Flour / Corn Meal – 1 cup
- Maida / All-purpose flour – ¾ cup
- Red chilli powder – ½ tsp
- Carom (ajwain/omam) or Oregano – ½ tsp
- Salt to taste
- Oil for deep frying
Making of Nachos / Nacho chips –
- In a wide mouth bowl, take corn meal, maida/all-purpose flour, red chilli powder, carom seeds and salt all together.
- Mix it well.
- Pour water little by little and start kneading the flour and roll out to a dough.
- Take a small portion of the dough, dust the working space, flatten the dough and cut them to the right shape (check out the video).
- Meanwhile heat the oil in a kadai, gently drop the nacho dough one by one and continue cooking.
- Cook only in medium flame (otherwise it would turn out to dark brown in color).
- Flip the sides, cook on both sides until they start turning golden brown.
- Drain the oil and remove them from fire.
Pouring water to all the dry ingredients
About to roll
Getting into shapes
Getting prickes with fork
Nachos ready to fry
Nachos Chips / Home-made Nachos Chips
Store it an air-tight container once it reaches the room temperature. Stays fresh for a week time.