Whenever I get fish, I use to make curry with head, tail and other hard parts of the fish and make fry with the centre sliced pieces. Likewise here also I have made this pomfret curry with the head, tail and few of the hard pieces of the fish.
- White Pomfret / Vavval Meen – ½ Kg
- Onions – 2 nos
- Tomato – 1 ½ nos
- Tamarind – a lemon sized
- Curry leaves – a string
- Mustard seeds – ¼ tsp
- Split blackgram – ¼ tsp
- Garlic – 5 cloves
- Chilli powder – 1 tsp
- Coriander powder – 2 tsp
- Cumin powder – 1 tsp
- Turmeric powder – ½ tsp
- Salt to taste
- Coconut oil – 2 tbsp
- Clean and cut the fish into thin slices.
- Finely chop the onions, garlic and tomatoes.
- Soak tamarind in a cup of water and extract the juice.
- Heat oil in a kadai. Put mustard, blackgram and curry leaves, wait till it crackle.
- Put onions and garlic, fry till they become transparent.
- Put tomatoes and fry them till they become mushy.
- Put all the spice powders and salt, sauté till the raw smell goes off.
- Pour in two cups of water, followed by tamarind water. Allow it to boil.
- Put the fish into it and cover with the lid.
- Remove the lid, when the fish is cooked.
- Put in low flame, till the curry thickens and the oil gets separated and floats on the top.
Serve hot with steamed rice or dosa.