I have shared the recipe for adai/lentil dosa, now its another version of adai with plantain flower. I like plantain flower to the core. I have tried Plantain Flower Fritters and curry but this time I thought of trying it with Adai/Lentil Dosa. “When the fritters comes out delicious, why not the lentil dosa come out?” this resulted in the making of Plantain Flower Lentil Dosa.
Do check out my Plain Adai recipe, Murungai Keerai Adai / Moringa Leaves Adai , Adai from Leftover rice, Egg Adai recipe / Mutta Adai.
It was so soft, crispy and delicious but got few more mins to get done when compared to the Lentil Dosa/Adai. Goes out good for breakfast, dinner or snack time with sambhar and chutney. Let us move on to the recipe…
- Vazhaipoo / Plantain Flower – 1 no
- Raw rice – 1 ½ cups
- Pigeon pea / Toor dal / Tuvaram paruppu – ¼ cup
- Whole Black Lentil / Urad dal / Ulundam paruppu – ¼ cup
- Split Green Lentil / Moong dal / Paasi paruppu – ¼ cup
- Split Bengal Lentil / Split Channa dal / Kadalai Paruppu – ¼ cup
- Butter milk – ½ cup
- Onions – 2 nos
- Fennel seeds / Perunjeeragam – 1 tsp
- Methi seeds – 1/4 tsp
- Red chilies – 4 nos
- Garlic – 5 cloves
- Curry leaves – 3 sprigs
- Salt to taste
- Soak rice, methi seeds and all the lentils together in a bowl for almost 4 hours, drain the water and grind it to a coarse paste by adding water.
- Add in the salt, mix it well and transfer it to a bowl.
- Clean and soak the plantain flower in butter milk and a cup of water for 10 mins, drain the water and keep it aside.
- Grind the plantain flower, fennel seeds, garlic, and red chilies to a fine paste by adding little water and pour it to the grounded rice batter.
- Mix all together and rest it for 10 mins.
- Peel and finely chop the onions and curry leaves, add it to the batter.
- Heat a tawa, rub with oil, spoon a batter to the tawa and spread it equally from the centre to the corner of the tawa, with the back side of the ladle.
- Drizzle few drops of oil along the sides and top of the adai.
- Wait for few mins or until it starts turning golden brown and now swap the sides of the adai and let it cook for few more mins.
- Wait until it turns golden brown, transfer it to plate.
Serve hot with Tiffin sambhar and Chutney.
Note: The consistency of the batter should be like the Dosa batter consistency. Soaking the plantain flower in butter milk, helps it from decolurisation.
Do check out my other breakfast recipes in this link: https://madraasi.com/recipes/breakfast-dinner/.