As most of us are looking out for healthy recipes, but like to have desserts especially when it comes to cakes, who say no? So thought of making a healthy cake, this resulted in my vegan Coffee Cake with walnuts. Already I shared my Coffee Cake with Nutty crunch and this cake is very special and completely different from that as it has no eggs, no butter, no sugar, and no milk and prepared with wheat flour/atta.
This cake is very healthy dessert and good not only for weight watchers, but also for diabetes people. Also this tastes yum, and has the soft and fluffy texture which would be liked by everyone. Enjoy your winter by giving a try to this healthy and delicious Vegan Coffee Cake. Let me share the recipe…
CLICK HERE for more baking recipes.
Awwww. Its Friday, taking my cake to Fiesta Friday #149 hosted by Angie@thenovicegarderner.
Vegan Coffee Cake with Walnuts
- Wheat flour / Atta – 1 ½ cups
- Baking powder – 1 tsp
- Cinnamon powder – ½ tsp
- Salt – ½ tsp
- Walnuts – ½ cup
- Oil – 1 cup
- Black Coffee – 1 cup
- Lemon Juice – 1 tsp
- Organic Brown Sugar – 1 cup
Making of Vegan Coffee Cake with Walnuts –
- Sieve the wheat flour, cinnamon powder, salt and baking powder, all together in a bowl. Keep it aside.
- Crush or finely chop the walnuts to pieces and keep it aside.
- Take a wide mouth bowl, pour oil, black coffee, lemon juice and add the organic brown sugar, mix it well until the sugar is completely dissolved.
- Take 2 tsps of sieved flour and keep it aside.
- Add the leftover sieved flour to the black coffee mixture, little by little and fold them well without any lumps.
- Meanwhile preheat the microwave to 180 degree C and grease the cake tray.
- Add the walnuts to the reserved sieved flour and mix it well. Make sure that the walnuts have got coated well with the flour.
- Add walnuts along with the flour to the cake batter and mix it well. Refer the above video for the consistency.
- Transfer the cake batter to the greased tray and bake it for 5 to 10 mins or until a tooth pick inserted in the centre of the cake comes out clean at 180 degree C.
- Once baked, let the cake rest for 5 mins and transfer the cake to a plate.
Serve hot or at room temperature or chilled. Perfect for a tea-time or perfect for brunch with a scoop of ice cream.
Basbousa or Basboosa is an Egyptian and traditional Middle East sweet cake prepared with Semolina, desiccated coconut, sugar, yogurt/curd and later soaked in sugar syrup which is flavored with rose water. It is also known as “Hareesa”. As of collecting few Middle East dishes for Ramzan, resulted in Basbousa through one of my neighbor.
Basbousa is a very easy, simple and a delicious dessert which flavors not only the kitchen but also the whole house with its wonderful aroma. Usually this Basbousa is baked until the top turns brown in color, but I have done it until it reaches golden brown. Let me share the recipe…
For more Ramzan/ Ramadan / Iftar recipes – Click here.
- Semolina – 2 cups
- Desiccated coconut – 1 cup
- Sugar – ½ cup
- Yogurt/Curd – ¾ cup
- Baking powder – 1 tsp
- Salt – ¼ tsp
- Rose essence – 2 tsp
- Butter (melted) – ½ cup
- Lemon juice – 1 tbsp
- Almonds/Badam or Cashew or Pistachios – 15 nos
Making of Basbousa –
- Boil a cup of water in a heavy bottomed vessel, add in the nuts and allow to boil in high flame for 15 mins. Drain the water, peel the skin of the nuts, slice them to two equal halves and keep it aside.
- Preheat oven to 18o degree C.
- In a wide mouth bowl, add in the semolina/rava, desiccated coconut, sugar, baking powder and mix them well.
- Add in the yogurt/curd + 1 tbsp of water and mix them well with your hands (be sure no lumps should be formed and they would little tight in consistency).
- Grease a baking a tray and pour the semolina mixture to the tray and level the batter with your hands.
- Make cuts (desired shape) with the knife, pierce a nut in the center of each and every pieces.
- Bake for 8 mins or until the top starts turning to dark brown in color (I baked only till they turn golden brown in color).
- Meanwhile boil 1 ½ cups of water along with a cup of sugar, drizzle the rose essence and cook in medium flame, until it comes to the syrup consistency.
- Remove the tray once baked and pour the syrup over the cake, let it sit for 15 mins.
- Gently remove the pieces.
Butter, semolina, desiccated coconut, baking powder, yogurt all together
Getting set in a baking tray
All set in a baking tray
Sliced to shape before baking
With blanched almonds
Sugar syrup with rose petals
Getting soaked in sugar syrup
For my other desserts recipes, click here.