Pulao / Pulav is a one pot meal that can be prepared in minutes and there are different varieties of pulao from veg to non-veg. There are sometimes, when we don’t have anything at home, but still need a rich food may be for a party or on the arrival of surprise guest.
Plain Pulao is very simple, delicious and flavorful but needs only the basic ingredients that we generally have at home and they are nothing other than the flavored spices. Plain pulao goes out well with any gravy or curry. I have accompanied it with Chicken curry, for veg option Dal suits it very well. I have shared few more Pulao like – Chicken Pulao, Soya chunks Pulao, Afghani Lamb Pulao, Prawn and Peas Pulao, Zarda Pulao (Sweet Pulao), Vegetable Pulao. Let me share the recipe…
Making of Plain Pulao / Pulao Video recipe –
- Basmathi / Long-grain rice – 2 cups
- Onion – 1 nos (medium size)
- Green chilies – 2 nos
- Ginger-garlic paste – 1 tbsp
- Bay leaf – 2 nos
- Star Anise – 2 nos
- Cinnamon (1 “inch stick) – 1 no
- Cloves – 4 nos
- Cardamom – 2 nos
- Salt – 1 tsp or as per your taste
- Ghee / Clarified butter – 1 ½ tsp
- Oil (any cooking oil) – 2 ½ tsp
- Peel and thinly slice the onions to pieces.
- Slit the green chilies into two equal halves.
- Heat both ghee/clarified butter and oil in a pressure cooker or a heavy bottomed vessel, add the flavored spices (bay leaf, star anise, cinnamon, cloves, cardamom) and wait until the spices crackle.
- Add onions and green chillies, cook for a min and add ginger-garlic paste, cook until the onion turns glassy and the raw smell goes off.
- Meanwhile clean the rice in running water, drain the water and keep it aside.
- Add the cleaned rice, followed by salt and cook for a min.
- Pour water (for one cup of rice pour 1 ½ cups of water, make sure to use the same cup for measurement).
- Wait until the water boils, for pressure cooker – cover the lid and pressure cook for 2 whistles, for heavy bottom vessel – cover the lid and cook until the rice is perfectly done.
- Remove the lid, and gently stir the rice and transfer it to a bowl.
Serve hot with any Vegetarian Curries or Gravies or Non-Vegetarian Gravies or Curries.